Official Review: The Boomer Blues by Dick Caplan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: The Boomer Blues by Dick Caplan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Boomer Blues by Dick Caplan

Post by Ever_Reading » 17 Dec 2019, 07:27

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Boomer Blues" by Dick Caplan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Boomer Blues is a memoir by Dick Caplan. In it, he recounts his family’s history from the late nineteenth century to the early twenty-first century. For Dick Caplan, growing up in the small town of Wallingford, Connecticut, was quite the experience. From attending birthday parties to practicing hiding under his desk in case of a nuclear attack, Caplan saw it all. In his memoir, Caplan discusses shocking moments of political turmoil and cultural upheaval. These moments include the assassinations of John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr., and Medger Evers. Caplan also offers commentary on the shootings at Kent State and on the murders of civil rights protestors and innocent black children. In a comedic, sincere, and memorable way, Caplan contrasts the events and opinions of his time with modern-day ones.

I didn’t think I would enjoy this book as much as I did. As I am a non-American millennial, I figured my biggest takeaway would be learning about American history, as well as seeing the world through a baby boomer’s eyes. But boy, was I in for a treat! Dick Caplan’s humorous and casual writing style was the highlight for me. The memoir read like fiction and took only a couple of sittings to finish. I especially liked that Caplan didn't narrate his life's events in chronological order. This randomness added a natural touch to the book. It felt like I was listening to a friend recount his life story.

Caplan did a great job of establishing the context at every stage of his life. One of the tricks he used to do this was contrasting his age at the time of the event with the ages of well-known figures. For example:
At Woodstock, Jimi Hendrix was twenty-seven years old. Richard Nixon was fifty-six. I was twenty, and Barack Obama had just turned eight. My mom was fifty-two years old, and Elvis Presley was forty-two. Seven years before the Woodstock Music Festival, at the age of thirty-six, Marilyn Monroe had died.
I also liked how Dick Caplan shined the spotlight on people who had an impact on his life. I got to learn about his family, friends, girlfriends, and other people who weren’t even related to him. Quite creatively, he told his own story through other people’s stories. This made the book memorable and unique.

The aspects I did not like mostly boil down to preference. For example, I disliked the use of profanity in the book, especially towards the end. However, this did not make the memoir less enjoyable.

I have no reason to believe The Boomer Blues was not professionally edited as I found less than five errors in it. I enjoyed this memoir because of the author's comedic delivery and honest commentary. As such, I rate The Boomer Blues 4 out of 4 stars.

Although Caplan mentions religion a couple of times in the book, I feel The Boomer Blues is appropriate for readers with different beliefs. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy memoirs and books about historical events. Anyone looking for a funny, educational, and inspirational read should also consider trying it out.

The Boomer Blues
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: An Uncommon Journey by Shirley Raines

Post by Tomah » 18 Dec 2019, 11:15

I enjoy books that inform and entertain at the same time, so I might check this one out. It's interesting how the author establishes context from famous figures. Thanks for the review!

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Getting Through What You Can't Get Over by Anita Agers-Brooks

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 19 Dec 2019, 05:12

It's good when authors arrange memoirs by theme instead of chronologically. I don't always find memoirs that are collections of anecdotes very interesting, though Woodstock is certainly an interesting subject! I enjoyed your thorough review.

MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51

Post by MustaHarleen » 19 Dec 2019, 08:18

Many authors I have read about love using the chronological setting. I love the randomness of Dick Kaplan's memoir. I also love that he included humor to neutralize the seriousness of history. I would love to sample this book. Thanks for giving us your amazingly-written review of it. Congratulations.

Ever_Reading

Post by Ever_Reading » 20 Dec 2019, 02:43

Tomah wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 11:15
I enjoy books that inform and entertain at the same time, so I might check this one out. It's interesting how the author establishes context from famous figures. Thanks for the review!
Oh yes, those are always the best. I hope you do check it out. Thank you for dropping by! :wink2:

Ever_Reading

Post by Ever_Reading » 20 Dec 2019, 02:47

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 05:12
It's good when authors arrange memoirs by theme instead of chronologically. I don't always find memoirs that are collections of anecdotes very interesting, though Woodstock is certainly an interesting subject! I enjoyed your thorough review.
I know right? This memoir delivered on so many things. Thanks for your thoughtful comment. :D

Ever_Reading

Post by Ever_Reading » 20 Dec 2019, 03:06

MustaHarleen wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 08:18
Many authors I have read about love using the chronological setting. I love the randomness of Dick Kaplan's memoir. I also love that he included humor to neutralize the seriousness of history. I would love to sample this book. Thanks for giving us your amazingly-written review of it. Congratulations.
I get what you mean. Taking the random approach can be dangerous since it can easily confuse readers. Fortunately, that wasn't the case here. Thank you for your sweet comment. :wink2:

MsH2k
Favorite Book: The Oracle
Currently Reading: A White Face Painted Brown
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Business is Easy by Jason Reid

Post by MsH2k » 20 Dec 2019, 14:06

This is the way to learn about history! :D Thanks for a great review.

Julius_
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Julius_ » 21 Dec 2019, 00:20

Caplan must have been very lucky (and sad) to witness these historict political events such as the assasination of John F Kenedy. I enjoyed reading your review, keep up the good work!
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

inaramid
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: Feminist in Pink by Brenna Stevenson Dilts

Post by inaramid » 21 Dec 2019, 01:42

Glad to know that this book can still resonate with non-Americans...and the younger crowd. Thanks for this review!

Falconcrest
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Falconcrest » 21 Dec 2019, 03:37

I think it will be interesting to get the first hand perspective of the events that led to the assassination of JFK and the massacre of the black civil rights movement in Kent State. Thanks for a very eloquent and informative review Ever_Reading.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Gratitude Effect by Richard J. Cavaness

Post by kdstrack » 22 Dec 2019, 18:33

I have come to enjoy memoirs and like to learn about people's lives and the things that influenced them. I agree that this author has a unique way of helping readers to connect with other recognizable personalities of that time period. This looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: A Religion Called Love by David Trock

Post by unamilagra » 22 Dec 2019, 21:38

Like you, at first glance a memoir by a baby boomer doesn’t sound super interesting to me. I’m glad it was such a pleasant surprise for you. I might have to check it out. Great review!

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: The Astrology of 2020 - The Dawning of a New World by Gahl Eden Sasson

Post by rumik » 26 Dec 2019, 06:42

I love that excerpt from the book; it's so fascinating when different historical people/events are compared just to give you an idea of the historical context. For instance, I recall reading that Cleopatra lived closer to the moon landing than she did to the Great Pyramid of Giza being built.
This sounds like a lovely book; thanks for the great review!

Ever_Reading

Post by Ever_Reading » 27 Dec 2019, 02:10

MsH2k wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 14:06
This is the way to learn about history! :D Thanks for a great review.
Most def! If history textbooks were written like this, I probably would have enjoyed History class more. Thank you for dropping by!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”