Official Review: Beyond Supernatural Realism

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts (New Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Beyond Supernatural Realism by Robert High Baker

Official Review: Beyond Supernatural Realism

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 09 Dec 2019, 18:41

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beyond Supernatural Realism" by Robert High Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whether it is done consciously or subconsciously, each of us is on a journey that compels us to follow. For me, it is a journey of searching for the truth; especially the truth concerning religion. The latest book I’ve read, Beyond Supernatural Realism: Jesus and the Call to Authenticity, continues my personal journey. It is a non-fiction, philosophical booklet written by Robert High Baker and is only 40 pages long. It consists of a preface, six chapters, and a conclusion along with two pages of references.

While this book can be read in less than two hours, I wouldn’t recommend it. Baker attempts and accomplishes defining Christian existentialism which if read in a rush can be confusing and deserves to be thought through. In the first two chapters, he objectively explains the origins of Christianity. There are two different schools of thought that share one commonality: supernatural reality. In chapters 3 and 4, Baker philosophically explains Christian existentialism and how to maintain “the mystery of our existence” without supernaturalism. For chapter 5, he explores the “existential themes in Christianity.” In chapter 6, Baker applies existentialism to the life and teachings of Jesus.

I like that Baker’s writing style is clear, concise, and methodical. He starts the reader off with what is better known about Christianity and effortlessly leads into a different perspective towards Christianity. He provides questions throughout the booklet to get the reader engaged and provides examples when applying existential thought to Christianity and Jesus. One tidbit of information that I didn’t know is that the Nicene Creed was created to blend the two prevalent groups of Christianity, which were Hebrews and Greeks, into one. A word Baker used that was like an old friend is “is-ness.” It brought to mind Richard L. Haight using the word “isness” in The Unbound Soul.

There is truly nothing that I didn’t like about this booklet. It appears to be professionally edited as I found no mistakes. I admit the concept is somewhat difficult to comprehend, but that is on me, not the writer. I’m confident that it will become easier as I continue to ponder this concept. Because of the topic, there are no cursing or sexual scenes.

I rate Beyond Supernatural Realism: Jesus and the Call to Authenticity 4 out of 4 stars because it is engaging, well-written, and thought-provoking. If you’re like me where questioning and learning is your life-long journey, I would recommend this book; however, if you are comfortable with your beliefs toward Christianity, I would leave this one alone. As I was reading, a thought came to mind that I want to share. Will keeping an open mind and attempting to see the big picture get one closer to the truth?

Beyond Supernatural Realism
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: The Boomer Blues by Dick Caplan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 13 Dec 2019, 08:24

I admire your search for the truth and am glad this booklet added value to your journey. I might just check the book out one of these days. Great review!
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 14 Dec 2019, 15:39

Ever_Reading wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 08:24
I admire your search for the truth and am glad this booklet added value to your journey. I might just check the book out one of these days. Great review!
Thank you, I appreciate your comment. :romance-heartsmiley:

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

ANNAC20
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ANNAC20 » 14 Dec 2019, 16:53

It is a great book. I believe that there is a world beyond ours and supernatural exists but we might not know it. I would recommend reading this book if you are interested in the supernatural.

Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 15 Dec 2019, 20:38

ANNAC20 wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 16:53
It is a great book. I believe that there is a world beyond ours and supernatural exists but we might not know it. I would recommend reading this book if you are interested in the supernatural.
Thank you for your comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Strumming the Guitar
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn

Post by Kibetious » 05 Jan 2020, 23:23

This is a thought-provoking read indeed. Thanks a lot for the enthralling and informative review. I might consider reading this one day.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”