Official Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ray32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ray32.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Official Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell

Post by Ray32 »

A lot of people always look at these type of situations through the eyes of the child but hardly ever through the eyes of the mother. I hope through this memoire people stop persecuting and ridiculing those who put their children up for adoption and understand that sometimes there is no other alternative. Thank you for your wonderful review!!!
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I've heard that young mothers sometimes feel serious grief when they give up their kid for adoption; as much as others would feel for aborting a child or having one die. This sounds like an inspiring story. Thanks for this review.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I think it's always difficult for mothers to give up their child for adoption, no matter what the circumstances are. I added this to my to-read list.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like this book because it deals with real life problems of unwanted pregnancies and abusive relationships. Its sad to know that the author went through all these issues and lived to tell the tale. Thanks for the interesting review.
Mandylu77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mandylu77 »

I have only read the preview of The Land of Sunshine and Hell but it is a book that I would like to read. The preview left me wanting to find out what choice Maxene makes. It makes one think about how women basically have 4 options when it comes to pregnancy, keep it and get married keep it and be unwed mother, abortion or adoption. At the time Maxene had to make her choice society made one believe that there was only one option a young girl could pick.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

It's one thing for a child to be adopted because of the loss of parents, but it's a whole different ballgame when at least, the mother is still very alive and well. I can't imagine having the pain of a woman who's bonded with her child for 9 months and that bond gets broken like that. I wonder if she ever located the child again. The author's resilience is certainly evident. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

Your review piqued my interest! It is very well written. The book seems like a heartbreaking story. Thank you for this!
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I actually know someone in foster care right now, and this story is so compelling and am sure has the information am looking for. Thanks for a great review.
Han26+
Currently Reading: The DC Comics Encyclopedia
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han26.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Han26+ »

I don’t often read memoirs. Though I understand this woman has certainly been through a variety of extremely hard decisions and life events, and has had a lot of bravery to put it all down on paper, I won’t be reading this book for personal reasons.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I admire the author's strength in life. She seems to have gone through a lot. At the time it seems the only aim was to avoid scandals. who know what the ladies have gone through. Thank you for a great review.
Gcereview1978
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gcereview1978 »

A very painful review! She endured too much suffering about her child she had given up for adoption plus abuse in the hands of his husband. Thank you
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This memoir seems so heartbreaking, but I’m glad to see that the author has made it through the hard times to tell her story. I can’t imagine how hard all of these decisions must have been to make and then live with, but at least by sharing them, she can show other young women in similar situations that they are not alone and that they can make it through the dark times. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I admire the author resilience of how she dealt with the stigmatization of teenage pregnancy. Though the world is not as hostile to such incidences as it was it the past, some cases still exist in the contemporary times. I love memoirs, and this seems like one I can enjoy reading. Thanks for sharing this wonderful review!
Shaffner
Currently Reading: Mindfulness in Plain English
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaffner.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by Shaffner »

Thank you for this review. I went ahead and read this book and found it to be very good as well. I also thought that learning about adoption processess and the culture and attitudes around unwanted pregnancy at the time of this book was interesting and insightful
Shaffner
Currently Reading: Mindfulness in Plain English
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaffner.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by Shaffner »

Thank you for this review. I went ahead and read this book and found it to be very good as well. I also thought that learning about adoption processes and the culture and attitudes around unwanted pregnancy at the time of this book was interesting and insightful

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”