Review by jessleighjansen -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jessleighjansen
Currently Reading: Ann Boleyn: 500 Years of Lies
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessleighjansen.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Review by jessleighjansen -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by jessleighjansen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An inspirational memoir about one man's determination for more, and the dedication to achieve every goal he would envision for himself. The book's title is a play on words from the writer's time in the professional biking circuit in pursuit of an Olympic dream and then used to describe significant moments throughout his life. I admired the young work ethic expressed in this memoir, which even continued as I read through to the times of adulthood when writer, Jorge Newbery refers to himself as becoming “hero to zero.”

I enjoyed reading about his childhood experiences as a growing entrepreneur and found his time as a “record mogul” very intriguing and appreciated the many references about his family and their involvement and encouragement. Throughout the book, various business ventures from childhood, through his youth, and into adulthood remain ever-changing as is the era’s in which his experiences took place and his references to pivotal moments in history that not just affected him, but his family. Some of the more significant struggles are those associated with his time in real estate investing that seemed to offer him both the highest of high’s and the lowest of low’s.

There are honest reflections from the problematic periods expressed affecting him professionally, financially, mentally, and emotionally following difficult business decisions resulting in both financial losses and criminal charges. Remaining strong while using the same determination present throughout his life, Jorge Newbery persevered toward new goals and challenges both professionally as well as personally. The book is a reflection of growth with the mentions of family and relationships, reflecting a more vulnerable side.

A quote from Nelson Mandela said to have been influential during a rough period of his life, and I also think it represents the feeling and emotions depicted in the story: “The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail.” Jorge Newbery then shares his "ravenous desire to rebuild himself, taking what he had learned and to put his struggles and failures to productive use,” which he certainly did. His memoir is an excellent testament to his life's strengths and trials with unfaltering determination during those burn zones.

I would rate Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands 4 out of 4 stars because I feel it has a strong inspirational message, especially to entrepreneurs. Still, there is only a small portion of the book devoted to the athletics in which the title is derived from. I enjoyed the book, mostly towards the beginning because the end dealt with a lot of negative aspects that contributed from bad business dealings that engulfed the memoir and pulled from the positive messages shared in the first half. Another praise for this book is that it seems to have been professionally edited and published. Today, Jorge P. Newbery remains an entrepreneur, endurance athlete, and author.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”