Review by oluchiokere84 -- Gardening With Guns

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
oluchiokere84
2019 Reading Goal: 6
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 166
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Review by oluchiokere84 -- Gardening With Guns

Post by oluchiokere84 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gardening With Guns" by AJ Wootton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gardening with Guns, A Memoir written by AJ Wootton is a very interesting book. In it, AJ tells the captivating story of the joys, and pains of her childhood and some aspects of her life as an adult. She wrote about the effects of her parents' divorce on them as children. The challenges they had while living with an abusive stepfather and the happy moments they shared with their stepmothers and other extended family members were described in detail. Another major part of her story were the numerous sacrifices she made to try to ensure that her children were spared the agony of a divorce because of her experience.

I learned valuable tips on how to prepare for an interview from the book. For instance, generating a list of possible questions that may be asked during an oral interview beforehand would help to boost a person's confidence during the interview. I love the bit of mystery about whether her father truly killed himself or if someone else did, that was entwined in the plot. I was also very happy when I found out that her decision to tell her mother that Glen her stepfather, had been abusing her sexually led to her freedom from his overtures.

I didn't dislike anything about the book. However, I was not happy that the grandchildren were not given anything from her father's possessions at death to keep in memory of him. I was also sad when I read about her father's death and did not believe that he shot himself.

The book was written in good English and professionally edited. I did not find any errors in it. Hence, I rate it four out of four stars.

The book is a good read for adults and people who carry emotional burdens which they are unwilling to share with anyone. I am quite sure that many adults will relate to at least one scene in the events of her life. One scene that struck me made me recall that I also used to drive imaginary cars as a child with any object which I or other children felt was suitable for the purpose. We also made the same 'Vroom!' sound as we drove them happily then. I admire the author for the courage she had to tell the world her story. She told it in a way that would keep people glued to the pages of the book, in order to find out what happened next. The value of this book may be lost on children.

Gardening With Guns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”