Official Review: Spirituality for REAL by WakunDaMa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 88
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Spirituality for REAL by WakunDaMa

Official Review: Spirituality for REAL by WakunDaMa

Post by EvaDar » 25 Nov 2019, 14:45

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spirituality for REAL" by WakunDaMa.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matters of spirit can be complex and tricky to express with written or spoken language. Many a writer have attempted to provide a map of spirituality, with varying success. Author WakunDaMa’s Spirituality for Real: Beyond the Incense and Meditation makes an impressive effort to demystify the nature of spirituality and bring it into practical focus.

At age 14, the author started working with visualization meditations to improve his memory. He discovered the same practice seemed to help him recover from the flu much faster. After supporting his wife through a long, undiagnosed illness, he explored energy healing more deeply. WakunDaMa has come to believe illness and mortality are invitations to expand our experience of spirituality.

The author describes energy, in the form of chi or life-force, as being mapped in the human body through the chakra system: seven energy centers that connect body and soul. Many practices can support this energy and release blockages that cause illness. If you’ve had acupuncture, you’ve experienced an energetic modality for clearing energy pathways. WakunDaMa trademarked a yoga form that includes meditations and movement practices designed to facilitate the flow and balance of life-force energy. The book includes links to videos that clearly demonstrate these practices.

WakunDaMa’s artful interpretation of the relationship between body, mind, spirit, energy, soul, and religion was satisfying. Spirituality is not just an aspect of human experience—it is our human experience. It permeates all—the sacred and the mundane. “If you want to understand spirituality in tangible action,” says WakunDaMa, “don’t look to a temple, church, mosque or synagogue. Instead, look to everyday courageous acts in human life.” This is not meant to discount religion. Spirit is seen as the basis and purpose for all existence, and religion is an important manifestation of spirituality.

I thoroughly enjoyed Spirituality for Real. The author’s humanity is evident in the first sentence and permeates the narrative. His tone is loving, wise, and humble. He addresses the personal and the transcendent nature of human existence, acknowledging we are all on the path of life together. With a user-friendly tone, the author explains complex concepts using qualifiers such as “maybe” or “my intuition says,” rather than making declarations about concepts that are very abstract.

I practiced a bit of the meditation highlighted in the book. “Crying Meditation” is a progression of sounding and breathing, intended to increase mental function and energetic alignment. The author presents it as being useful to beginners because the mind is occupied with sounding and not as likely to drift.

I’m certainly not an expert, but having taught meditation, I do wonder if beginners will be attracted to this form. Humans are generally resistant to both meditation and crying. Both are uncomfortable. While there is a significant benefit in working with discomfort, I think it may be too advanced for beginners. I wonder if one of the author’s other meditations might be better for non-meditators.

Technically, the book is very solid. The well-organized chapters and sub-sections help make sense of the complex subject matter. The writing is very good, and the book appears to be professionally edited. I found only a couple of very minor errors.

Spirituality for Real: Beyond the Incense and Meditation is the first in a two-book series that speaks compassionately to believers and skeptics. I am happy to award the book 4 out of 4 stars for its accessibility, humility, and technical strength. I recommend the book to anyone who would enjoy a balanced, practical discussion of how body, mind, spirit, and energy are interconnected. Whether or not you practice a religion or spiritual path, you will likely find this author’s empathy and humanistic approach refreshing.

Spirituality for REAL
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 413
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra » 27 Nov 2019, 01:23

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've been seeing a growing demand in books that talk about spirituality without religion at their center. Not my thing, personally, but this definitely is a topic that's been growing in popularity as of late. Thanks for your insightful review!

Infinite I
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Infinite I » 28 Nov 2019, 02:56

I do meditation sometimes. So i would like to read this book if it can help me progress further. Thanks for the review

ButterscotchCherrie
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 71
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 28 Nov 2019, 19:55

That reminder to seek spirituality in everyday courageous actions is timely. I also wouldn't be sure about a meditation that involves making sounds, much as I would like to improve my mental function. I enjoyed your thorough and well-written review.

Wamakima
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 84
Currently Reading: Cooperative Lives
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Wamakima » 29 Nov 2019, 02:02

I have never gotten the gist of meditation. Either I am agitated or I get distracted easily. When I am able to calmly meditate, I might take a look at the novel. Great Review!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

CommMayo
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 130
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Jake's America by Glen Daniels
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 09 Dec 2019, 17:35

I like the concept of being spiritual without needing to be religious. I'm also one of those people who gets too distracted to succeed at meditation easily.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”