Review by Kemunto lucy -- California: On the Edge of Ame...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Review by Kemunto lucy -- California: On the Edge of Ame...

Post by Kemunto lucy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "California: On the Edge of American History" by Ronald Genini.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini is a novel uncovering California. California is an interesting state with interesting facts. This goes from way before civilization until lately. Long before, California didn't have good roads and other amenities. Over the years, infrastructure has been developed and many state of the art facilities.

California is the reference point for almost everything. They say that whatever happens in other parts of the world already happened in California. Hollywood, which constitutes recording of pictures in motion started there. Presidents who governed California for example, Ronald Reagan were very influential. The Indian inhabitants were not as many as they are now. Their increase in population is accredited to certain factors. In 1930 it was a one party state. Wine production is majorly done by California amounting to the largest percentage compared to other places. The discovery of gold commonly known as the "Gold Rush" brought change to California. People from far and wide came in; the miners, the whores, and of course there was procreation. Even a rhyme was constructed in line with the happenings.

This book is very educative. I found out that before 1911, women were never allowed to vote. It was until then that the vying President, Wilson allowed them to vote, which was under certain conditions. Ialso found out that the first junior high school was constructed in Ohio and also in California. There were also cases of intense corruption, done by those in positions of power. Gold is one of the this state's fossils.

The writing of this book is generally good with a few typos. The writing style is attractive and keeps one hooked contrary to many historical books. I was really glad to learn the fan facts of California. The comparison with other states made it outstanding and served as clarification. This book is a long, though not very long read. The author has done a great job in putting together this amazing work in a considerable number of pages.

I am not a fan of history taught in school, as in, the examinable history but reading history for life is always refreshing. This book is well researched, evident from the accurate dating of events. It is informative, especially to someone who's never been to California, like me. Also to anyone who doesn't have this knowledge. This book contains much more, I could only sample a few facts. I give it a 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone interested in history or California history will find this book helpful.

California: On the Edge of American History
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”