Official Review: Pondering by Autumn Myst

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 72
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 579
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: The Pimp Game by Mickey Royal

Official Review: Pondering by Autumn Myst

Post by Rosemary Wright » 19 Nov 2019, 10:36

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pondering" by Autumn Myst.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pondering, by Autumn Myst, consists of some short stories about the author’s intriguing and humorous experiences. Some of the stories are about her encounters in her workplace. Also, some tell about the things people have said or done that she just couldn’t wrap her head around, while others reveal certain things that happened to her personally, as well as her family members. According to Autumn, “Every family has stories to tell.” Again, the book shows how she handled different weird scenarios.

The stories in this book are quite engaging and entertaining. They are clear and compelling, with the potential to keep you roaring with laughter. I like the author’s casual tone and her ability to describe funny events in a comprehensible manner. She was blunt and strong on narrative. In addition, most of the conversations are quite witty and intriguing. Consisting of 47 pages in PDF format, I finished reading the book within a couple of hours, and it was a worthwhile read. Indeed, I agree with Autumn that she has lived an interesting life, and I’m glad she shared her extraordinary experiences.

However, though Pondering is well narrated and a barrel of laughs, it has some formatting issues. For example, the table of contents is not properly arranged and the headings of most of the stories are too close to the first paragraphs. Also, according to the author, the book is supposed to be in chapters, but the stories are not in chapters, not even numbered. Besides, there are some grammar errors and typos, particularly wrongly written words and misplaced apostrophes. I suggest that the author should send the book for another round of editing. Readers who can’t tolerate formatting errors in a book may want to skip this one.

Regarding the characters, the author did a good job in describing them. Even though the non-fiction stories are very short, the characters are vivid and relatable. Concerning profanity, some of the dialogues have a few profane words, which are not off-putting to me. Moreover, there are no graphic sex scenes, but I noticed just one erotic statement.

In conclusion, I rate Pondering 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t rate it lower because it's hilarious and well presented. Besides, I couldn’t give it 4 stars because of the formatting and grammatical errors. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quick and an entertaining read. It’ll be a good stress reliever for anyone who is under stress.

Pondering
View: on Bookshelves

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 25 Nov 2019, 12:40

It's a shame about the formatting errors, because those that impact readability are a hard pass for me. Still, it sounds like the author has crafted a funny, well told collection that any reader would enjoy.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Leslie humble
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Leslie humble » 26 Nov 2019, 14:44

It's becomes hard to read a book which is not neither numbered nor has paragraphs

LauraLeeWasHere
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 312
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: Hearts Set Free
Currently Reading: Adam's Reign
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere » 01 Dec 2019, 01:57

This is the first one of your reviews I've read, RM and it seemed thorough and laced with good ol' common sense.

Writing about one's life experiences can be quite difficult especially when you need them to ring true and be laced with humor. It's obvious you enjoyed this book but it's too bad about all the errors. I also hope they do another edit and get them corrected.

Thank you for a review as easy a read as the book you are recommending. I think it's a wonderful review.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. John 21:25 KJV

Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 72
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 579
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: The Pimp Game by Mickey Royal

Post by Rosemary Wright » 07 Dec 2019, 09:28

LauraLeeWasHere wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 01:57
This is the first one of your reviews I've read, RM and it seemed thorough and laced with good ol' common sense.

Writing about one's life experiences can be quite difficult especially when you need them to ring true and be laced with humor. It's obvious you enjoyed this book but it's too bad about all the errors. I also hope they do another edit and get them corrected.

Thank you for a review as easy a read as the book you are recommending. I think it's a wonderful review.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee
Thanks Laura-Lee. I appreciate your comment. 😊

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”