Official Review: Try Softer by Thomas A. Newnam

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Official Review: Try Softer by Thomas A. Newnam

Post by mmm17 » 18 Nov 2019, 15:09

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Try Softer" by Thomas A. Newnam.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you feel that your best is never good enough? Do you consider yourself a people pleaser? Do you keep comparing yourself to others? According to Thomas A. Newnam, author of Try Softer: How to recover your natural state of happiness and clarity of purpose, these are a few of the seven signs that you are trying too hard. In this non-fiction book, he seeks to show readers an approach to living that will unblock happiness, and “the coolest thing you are going to find out is that all you need to do is stop trying so hard.”

The book offers inspiring stories, including the author’s life. When he was a 10-year-old kid, he dreamed of having a pony, but his parents couldn’t afford one. He then entered a contest and won a pony (Lucky). This episode validated his faith in the universe and empowered him.

What I most liked about this book was the author’s narration of real-life situations. For instance, the case of a 15-year-old anorexic girl impressed me. Some stories were tragic, but the author was always optimistic and hopeful. Each tale gets candidly presented, and a warm and generous spirit underlies the entire book. I liked how readers are encouraged to connect with the power within them. Newnam refers to these moments as “Dancing with your Higher Self.” I also enjoyed the amusing cartoons throughout the book; I thought they were thoughtful and funny.

On the other hand, I felt that the author leans a bit heavily on worn-out self-help platitudes. Throughout, the book seems a little polluted by clichés. For instance, happiness comes from within. There is also a simplistic approach to some rather complex problems. Additionally, I disliked how the mentions a couple of objects magically materializing in his life. Although I do not consider myself a skeptic reader, I had a hard time wrapping my head around these passages, and they detracted a little from my enjoyment of the book.

Lastly, I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. It seems professionally edited, for I did not find any spelling or grammatical errors in it. I’m not giving it the highest rating due to the negative aspects explained in the previous paragraph. I would recommend Try Softer to open-minded readers who are interested in tips on how to live a better life. More pragmatic readers – as well as those who are less inclined to value self-help books – might not like it as much. If you find the idea of miracles and magic to be too much, especially in a non-fiction title, this is not the best choice of book for you.

Try Softer
View: on Bookshelves

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Only with Blood by Therese Down

Post by kandscreeley » 19 Nov 2019, 20:27

I would enjoy the personal stories included. However, I don't think the simplistic platitudes would suit me. I do appreciate your review, though. Thanks for the information.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 413
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra » 20 Nov 2019, 01:20

I liked that the author introduced the idea of 'trying too hard'. While I have thought about it at length and might've come across an article or two on the topic on the internet, I've never quite invested any time to really understand the implications of it.
I would've been very interested to read this, but a book filled with cliches is the last kind of self-help book I want to pick up. Still, I might like to read the bits of it that would interest me then pass the book along to my friends to finish off haha. Thanks for your honest review!

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 20 Nov 2019, 18:16

kandscreeley wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 20:27
I would enjoy the personal stories included. However, I don't think the simplistic platitudes would suit me. I do appreciate your review, though. Thanks for the information.
The personal stories were the best part, indeed. Thanks for commenting!

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 20 Nov 2019, 18:17

La Cabra wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 01:20
I liked that the author introduced the idea of 'trying too hard'. While I have thought about it at length and might've come across an article or two on the topic on the internet, I've never quite invested any time to really understand the implications of it.
I would've been very interested to read this, but a book filled with cliches is the last kind of self-help book I want to pick up. Still, I might like to read the bits of it that would interest me then pass the book along to my friends to finish off haha. Thanks for your honest review!
There are several interesting bits. Thanks for reading!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 137
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Dear Siena by Ashley Girres

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 21 Nov 2019, 18:15

I absolutely adore the message that the author is putting forth. As a people-pleaser, this book is a breath of fresh air. Thanks for the wonderful review!

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 22 Nov 2019, 12:03

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 18:15
I absolutely adore the message that the author is putting forth. As a people-pleaser, this book is a breath of fresh air. Thanks for the wonderful review!
I know what you mean. I could relate also. :wink:

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 25 Nov 2019, 13:30

Yes, I could see what the author is going for, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy this one, particularly because of the cliches and platitudes included. A very good review, though.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

vermontelf
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading: The Last House Guest
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by vermontelf » 26 Nov 2019, 10:09

Thank you for this well written review. I appreciate your honesty that some of the advice is too simplistic. I appreciate the warning at the end too, as I'm not sure that I would appreciate the magic in mystery in a self-help book. While I the topic is of interest to me, I think the book would not be.

SomeoneInTheWorld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-someoneintheworld.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by SomeoneInTheWorld » 29 Nov 2019, 16:07

This sounds like a book that might provide a lot of food for thought and tips for an easier and happier life. The pros you mentioned made me think I will enjoy this book. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”