Official Review: Do We Have A Center? by walter frank

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Poisoning our Children by Andre Leu

Official Review: Do We Have A Center? by walter frank

Post by raikyuu » 17 Nov 2019, 09:52

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Do We Have A Center?" by walter frank.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do We Have A Center is a non-fiction book that analyzes Donald Trump's victory in the 2016 US Presidential Election and explores his victory in the context of the US's political history. The book makes a case for centrist politics to resolve the increasing polarization of the political spectrum in the US in light of Donald Trump’s election. Based on his extensive research and his journal during the presidential campaign in 2016, Walter Frank provides his insights as to how to approach the upcoming 2020 Presidential Election.

The book contains four chapters. Chapter One talks about the events that happened during the presidential campaign in 2016, focusing on the two candidates Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. Chapter Two provides an analysis of the 2016 campaign using perspectives of political scientists, historians, and journalists. Chapter Three uses the analysis in Chapter Two to contextualize the polarization of politics in the US and to argue for the case of centrist politics, which is defined as “a willingness to consider all the possible ways to attack a problem without pre-conceived biases against one set of solutions because of their source.” Lastly, Chapter Four offers a great deal of advice to the Democrats on what must be done to prevent Trump from being re-elected in the 2020 Presidential Election.

I like how the book creates a captivating political story that manages to capture the essence of what happened back then. The author manages to organize a multitude of issues and perspectives during the campaign to provide a coherent narrative. Looking back, I don’t think I can try to make sense of what happened back then if it weren’t for the book.

The book also does a good job of providing the contextual background needed to analyze the state of American politics in the wake of Trump’s election. The author makes use of multiple sources from memoirs to statistics to argue for and against different analyses of the presidential campaign in 2016. While the book manages to be rigorous in its research, it can still be read leisurely.

My only issue with the book is the motivation for its writing, which is to prevent Trump from being re-elected in the 2020 Presidential Election. While the author does a good job of arguing against Trump being re-elected, his arguments may only appeal to the Democrat voters. It would have been nice to see his arguments appealing to Republican voters since this would fit well with his arguments for centrist politics. But still, I don’t think that this issue makes the arguments in the book invalid.

Overall, Do We Have A Center is a well-written book, complete with a captivating story and extensive research. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. While this book may appeal more to Democrats than Republicans, I can recommend this book to anyone interested in knowing more about the presidential campaign in 2016 regardless of his/her political beliefs.

Do We Have A Center?
View: on Bookshelves
-rk

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Only with Blood by Therese Down

Post by kandscreeley » 26 Nov 2019, 20:00

I thought that would be an interesting book, as I do believe we need to come together more instead of letting our differences tear us apart. However, I hate it that the author is only using this to keep Trump from getting reelected. That's against my morals. I think I'll skip this. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Katie Canedy
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by Katie Canedy » 27 Nov 2019, 01:09

While I do like the concept of this book, I don't think that I will give it a chance. Based on what this review said, it seems that this book is used as a way to spread more political hate. Based on the title of the book, I expected it to be about how to bring the two parties together to come up with a solution. How can that be the case when, as this review states, the last chapter gives advice to one party about defeating another? That hardly seems like an equal and central idea to me.

I will give this book a pass, but hopefully, the right audience will enjoy it.
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag &auml;r Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 413
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra » 27 Nov 2019, 01:42

I'm not one for American politics but this seems so well written that I might just like to check it out. It'd be interesting to see what factors have played into such a, um, an interesting election.
You're too right in pointing out the audience problem. If this book was for democrats, they weren't going to vote for Trump anyway, so it doesn't serve much purpose. If it wanted to reason with the other side, it might've opted for a more neutral tone and in that way served its purpose or at least helped it.
Thanks for your insightful review.

Wamakima
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 84
Currently Reading: Cooperative Lives
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Wamakima » 29 Nov 2019, 02:06

I would readily recommend this book to US citizens. At this time I doubt they need a book to understand why Trump should not be reelected, it's quite obvious. Anyway, your review was fantastic.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 29 Nov 2019, 14:07

Having followed American politics for a while, I do have to say that centrist politics is needed currently in order to get into position to achieve progressive goals. I wish the author had used something like that instead of simply using it to appeal to one party only, since there are many on the other side who could be open to a change in perspective. With that being said, I do get where he's coming from though, as often it can be hard to see the forest for the trees.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 118
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Winter in Full Bloom
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Last Man at the Inn by R. William Bennett

Post by kdstrack » 03 Dec 2019, 21:51

The title intrigued me, taking into account our current political status. One wonders where the two parties are going and what will be left of them after the next election. I concur with the others who have commented - the bias of the author diminished my interest in the book. Thanks for you excellent insights about the text!

famous1019
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by famous1019 » 09 Dec 2019, 17:52

The title intrigued me and lead me to believe that this book would be an analysis and discussion into the current political climate of America. Given some reviews, it seems to be more populated with personal opinion rather than objective analysis but I cannot base my decision based purely on reviews so I will give this book a shot. I would like to read a detailed deconstruction of politics and it will hopefully be readable for the layman since I am no way experienced in politics or terms used.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”