Official Review: Thumbing Through the 70s by Maggie O'Brien

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Thumbing Through the 70s by Maggie O'Brien

Post by T_stone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thumbing Through the 70s" by Maggie O'Brien.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what living was like in the '70s? Come with me as I introduce you to Thumbing Through the '70s: a non-fiction book that gives insight into the world offered to those who choose to take the chance. It is the first-hand story of a working-class lady traveling overland from Britain to India on a budget.

To prevent any mix-up, I will begin by stating that this book isn’t an autobiography neither is it an ordinary travel book. It’s a book that gives the readers a privilege to go back in time with the author to The Iron Curtain Greece, Turkey, Iran, and India. It’s best suited for everyone and traverses themes like family, love, friendship, adventure, perseverance, and happiness. It has no profanity whatsoever. I only noticed a couple of missing commas and one misspelled word, which means it is well-edited.

This story focuses on Maggie's journey from Bristol in the UK, to Dharamsala in India; a journey she began with her friend, Pat. Maggie’s cross-country experience saw her meeting a lot of strangers; mostly indigenes of the places she visited while some were tourists like herself and Pat. I appreciate the kindness and love shown towards both women. I’d have loved being around in the '70s to have a first-hand experience of the kindness both women received.

Maggie shared a detailed account of her unique travel experience after college in well-organized chapters. For readers interested in visiting beautiful places like Istanbul, Turkey; Moscow, Russia; Mykonos, Greece; and Poona, India; the author shared necessary and detailed information about the beauty, weather conditions, and history of these places. I like Maggie’s inclusion of photographs at the end of the book. The images notified specific locations pictured with Pat and a few other families she closely connected with.

I was amazed by the author's impression of Turkey. Her description of the awkward body language of the people of Didima was interesting. Nodding of the head means “no” while head-shaking means “yes.” I’m sure I’d be left in a state of confusion trying to understand communication that way. A few of my favorite parts of this book include learning about the humor of Russians, and the hospitality of the Turks. The most shocking fact I learned from this book was that marijuana is also grown in India. Prior to this time, I didn't know marijuana grows in India.

I’m pleased to give Thumbing Through the ‘70s a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars as there’s nothing I disliked about the book. It’s a well-informative and well-written travel memoir. Do you know that there’s an ancient capital in Greece named after the Greek philosopher, Pythagoras? It’s called Pythagoreio. There’s more to this book than I thought.

Thumbing Through the 70s
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Sounds like an exciting and informational read. Great review!
Spencer Mack
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

spencermack wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 09:42 Sounds like an exciting and informational read. Great review!

Thanks for your comment
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I barely missed the 70s, but I sure miss the 80s. I probably should read this just to learn more and maybe even reminisce about my own good times. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I love all things travel, and wow, I would love to read about what that was like back in the '70s. A problem I have with some travel accounts is that they can be very ethnocentric towards other cultures, and that just drives me mad, honestly! I think I will check out a sample before I decide to pick this up.
Thank you for your very insightful review!
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I know of the 70s from movies and classic songs and they sound like a good time to be alive. The fashion, the way of talking and now a book that describes places in the 70s.I will definitely add this book to my bookshelves. Great review!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 19:52 I barely missed the 70s, but I sure miss the 80s. I probably should read this just to learn more and maybe even reminisce about my own good times. Thanks.
I appreciate your comment.

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

La Cabra wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 07:40 I love all things travel, and wow, I would love to read about what that was like back in the '70s. A problem I have with some travel accounts is that they can be very ethnocentric towards other cultures, and that just drives me mad, honestly! I think I will check out a sample before I decide to pick this up.
Thank you for your very insightful review!
I get that many travel books tend to be ethnocentric, but this one isn't; you'd love it!

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Wamakima wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 10:31 I know of the 70s from movies and classic songs and they sound like a good time to be alive. The fashion, the way of talking and now a book that describes places in the 70s.I will definitely add this book to my bookshelves. Great review!
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Thanks for commenting.

Rob White
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I would love to see those wonderful places. I'm curious about how the tearing down of the Iron Curtain affected the travel experience in Europe.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

This nonfiction book is about the story of a working-class lady who travels overland from Britain to India on a limited budget. It covers topics such as family, love, friendship, adventure, perseverance and happiness.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

My first impression had me thinking that this was a travel book, but when I got a closer look, it was obvious that this book was a fictional book about a woman's travel. I like that she is able to describe the various places and mannerisms that are customary to the location. It would be interesting to be transported back in time to see how different things were in the 70's. Thanks for the captivating review!
Veraok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veraok.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Veraok »

Wow! Interesting and captivating book, I think I would like to travel and those wonderful place. Thanks for the great review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a non-fiction historical travel memoire highlighting family, love, friendship,
adventure, perseverance, and
happiness. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @MaggieMobrules on the BOTD selection.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I love traveling and adventures, in fact I'd say it is my favorite hobby. Thanks a lot for the well-written and informative review. I would like to read this book soon.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”