Official Review: True Grit and Grace by Amberly Lago

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Last Man at the Inn by R. William Bennett

Official Review: True Grit and Grace by Amberly Lago

Post by kdstrack » 10 Nov 2019, 21:23

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "True Grit and Grace" by Amberly Lago.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have distressing circumstances compelled you to abandon your dreams? Is life overwhelming you, leaving you without hope? In True Grit and Grace, Amberly Lago challenges readers to change their perspective. You have the “power to create the kind of life you want and to appreciate the kind of life you have – even when external circumstances narrow your possibilities.” (p. x)

Amberly was a professional dancer and a runner. She specialized in tap dancing and worked as a personal trainer. A traffic accident shredded her leg and obligated her to endure almost forty surgeries. Amberly had to make a crucial decision when the doctors wanted to amputate her leg. At one point, her greatest challenge was attempting to walk to the bathroom using only a pair of crutches. What kind of future awaited Amberly? Would she ever be able to dance or run again? How would she be able to raise her children?

True Grit and Grace: Turning Tragedy Into Triumph by Amberly Lago is a non-fiction book. Amberly told her story in 170 pages, divided into forty-four chapters. The chapters alternated between the accident and recovery and her childhood memories. I enjoyed this format as the flashbacks gave me a breather from the intense hospital and recovery narratives. Sensitive readers might not be so enthusiastic about some of the medical details.

The honesty and openness that poured off the pages of this book were genuinely moving. The resilience manifested, in the face of suffering, was spectacular and powerful. Amberly shared several diary entries revealing the feelings of frustration and depression that threatened to overwhelm her. She emphasized the importance of gratitude and focusing on the good things you have in your life. I found these intimate revelations to be refreshing and uplifting.

I enjoyed the depictions of Amberly’s husband, John. He is a California Highway Patrol Lieutenant. He arrived at the scene of the accident and witnessed the severity of his wife’s injuries. Later, readers observed Johnny caring for his wife in the hospital and at home. The love and affection between husband and wife will motivate couples to look at their spouses with renewed tenderness.

The author included links to her social sites. You can contact Amberly via her website, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts. Readers can learn about Amberly’s life since the accident, listen to her interviews, and read her blog. You can also contact her as a motivational speaker for a meeting or event.

I was hoping to see more events documented with exact dates. Specific dates for each chapter would help readers coordinate the parallel narratives. I was disappointed that the PDF version did not contain any photos of Amberly or her family.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Amberly's story was gripping, emotional, and inspirational. Readers yearning for encouragement and concrete advice on how to triumph over depression and adversity will find guidance and techniques to invigorate their spirit. Couples can also find inspiration and modeling to strengthen their relationship. There were some grammar errors but not enough to lower the score. There are only a few instances of mild profanity. I did not find any sexual references. Her final words impacted me: “It is possible to regain confidence and joy.” (p. 166)

True Grit and Grace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 » 14 Nov 2019, 10:51

This sounds like a really inspiring read. I applaud the author for overcoming all her tragic obstacles, and having the courage to tell her story. Thanks for the excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Hearts Set Free by Jess Lederman

Post by Magnify3 » 14 Nov 2019, 13:30

Very touching. It must have been a very trying experience for Amberly's husband to have been at the scene of the accident. He still went on to care for her both at hospital and home. Love! Thanks for the review!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 14 Nov 2019, 21:04

Meg98 wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 10:51
This sounds like a really inspiring read. I applaud the author for overcoming all her tragic obstacles, and having the courage to tell her story. Thanks for the excellent review!
This is one of the most inspiring stories I have read. Amberly's injuries and her lessons for overcoming tragic circumstances will make you shift your perspective! Thanks for your comments.

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 14 Nov 2019, 21:16

Magnify3 wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 13:30
Very touching. It must have been a very trying experience for Amberly's husband to have been at the scene of the accident. He still went on to care for her both at hospital and home. Love! Thanks for the review!
It so often happens that overwhelming circumstances push a couple apart. I loved the strength they showed to stick together and let the tragedy draw them closer together. They are a beautiful model for other couples. Thanks for your encouraging comments!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Ignorance of Bliss: An American Kid in Saigon by Sandy Hanna

Post by Prisallen » 15 Nov 2019, 15:46

This would be a wonderful book for people who are in need of inspiration. I admire the author for not giving up and continuing to fight. Thank you for the great review!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 15 Nov 2019, 17:09

Prisallen wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 15:46
This would be a wonderful book for people who are in need of inspiration. I admire the author for not giving up and continuing to fight. Thank you for the great review!
I do believe the author accomplished her goal of inspiring anyone who reads her story. She, certainly, has won my admiration. Thanks for commenting!

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Stepping TwoGether by Nancy Landrum

Post by Cecilia_L » 16 Nov 2019, 08:48

I appreciate this type of inspiring story from someone who has had to overcome such challenging issues. Thanks for the recommendation and great review.

tristenb
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by tristenb » 17 Nov 2019, 20:40

This sounds very inspiring. I can't imagine having over 40 surgeries. Thanks for the review!

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 18 Nov 2019, 03:15

Inspirational and astonishing at the same time! The lesson given is so much needed for the people in distress. Thanks for an amazing review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 18 Nov 2019, 17:04

Cecilia_L wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 08:48
I appreciate this type of inspiring story from someone who has had to overcome such challenging issues. Thanks for the recommendation and great review.
I have read many memoirs. I will have to say that this one really moved me. Thanks for your encouraging comments!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 18 Nov 2019, 17:14

tristenb wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 20:40
This sounds very inspiring. I can't imagine having over 40 surgeries. Thanks for the review!
Amberly's story is astounding. Even more stunning is the attitude and mindset she had through it all. This book will inspire you. Thanks for commenting!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 18 Nov 2019, 17:29

Ekta Swarnkar wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 03:15
Inspirational and astonishing at the same time! The lesson given is so much needed for the people in distress. Thanks for an amazing review!
Ambery's story did inspire me and has left me with a profound admiration for her attitude and perseverance. I hope her story will inspire you, too. Thanks for commenting!

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Finding the Silence by Robert "bobby" Perrine

Post by Tomah » 19 Nov 2019, 11:23

These sorts of stories are great for placing our problems in perspective and learning to appreciate what we have, regardless of our circumstances. Amberly seems like a brave woman. Thanks for the review!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 19 Nov 2019, 11:58

Tomah wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 11:23
These sorts of stories are great for placing our problems in perspective and learning to appreciate what we have, regardless of our circumstances. Amberly seems like a brave woman. Thanks for the review!
Amberly has a unique story and an admirable attitude. II was very privileged to read and review this book. I hope her story will inspire you, too. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”