Official Review: How To Beat The Dream Stealers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: How To Beat The Dream Stealers

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How To Beat The Dream Stealers" by David Mendenhall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding success is one of the greatest challenges in life. Not only do we have to contend with whatever obstacles are in our way, but we also have to deal with people who (subtly) tell us that there's no point in trying, that it's too hard, or that we'll never succeed. Even our own minds often try to derail us!

In How to Beat the Dream Stealers, David Mendenhall explains to readers how to overcome these obstacles and work toward our goals. "Dream stealers," according to David, are forces that work against our dreams. They can be other people, our own minds, or the world itself.

I really enjoyed David's writing voice. He writes casually, and the writing is easy to follow, but he's also thorough and doesn't hesitate to explain that success requires hard work. He explains various strategies for success, the importance of using time well, the power of relentlessness, and much more. David does a great job of bringing up original and established theories and concepts, explaining them in easy-to-understand language, relating to them, and then ensuring that they stick with readers via questions and exercises.

These exercises were terrific. I even learned that I'm a dream stealer myself! But my favorite exercise tasks readers with listing their dreams, why they want them, and what it would cost to get them before answering whether readers are willing to pay the price for their dreams. For example, I'd love to become a great artist, and while there's a literal cost to buy the supplies I'd need, there's also a huge time investment that I've never been willing to pay.

How to Beat the Dream Stealers is also jam-packed with terrific quotes, both throughout the writing and at the end of chapters. These quotes are inspiring, fitting, and encouraging. I'd heard some of them before, but despite my love of quotes, many were new to me. I noticed that at least a few of them are used more than once, but they were important quotes that were worthy of repeating.

Unfortunately, the book has numerous grammatical errors. I counted 11 total, as well as some questionable lines. Even with those included, they average out to less than one per ten pages. However, anything over ten errors prevents me from giving How to Beat the Dream Stealers more than 3 stars. As much as I enjoyed the book, 3 out of 4 stars is exactly the rating I'm giving it. The author's encouraging writing, terrific strategies, and loads of exceptional quotes are enough to make me recommend it to everyone. Everyone should have goals of some sort, whether they're related to a career, school, earning money, learning something new, picking up a hobby, or even being a better partner in a relationship. At the bare minimum, everyone should see how detrimental negativity can be.

How To Beat The Dream Stealers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
missfrombliss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missfrombliss.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by missfrombliss »

Yes, in my experience, it is funny, but I know many people myself included, that we are often the one that steals our own dreams by procrastinating or just nagging all the time and giving up too soon. I'm really interested in the exercises the book also provides. Thanks for writing the review.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Sounds like a terrific read. At 30,000 words it's short enough to attract even lazy readers (like myself haha). One of my problems with self-help books is that they seem too long. I mean, I'm sure the book is great and everything but aahh to read on so much information just seems like a task sometimes.
But, yeah, 30k words and good readability sound great. Personally, I don't mind spelling/grammatical/formatting errors.
Great review by the way. I liked that you gave us an example of one of his tips. Makes me curious to see what else he's got in there :)
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds really interesting and I like the premise. It is a shame about the editing though... thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I agree with you entirely that everyone should have a goal. Motivational literature like this is always a plus because there is always something beneficial from reading it. Thanks for the very informative review.
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

Your review has summerised it all; "At the bare minimum, everyone should see how detrimental negativity can be". It is a book I will love to read through.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Yeah. Negativity is something that can easily rob us of our dreams if we're not careful, especially negativity that comes from ourselves. This isn't my genre, but I think the work the author is doing here could be beneficial to a lot of people who need it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I love quotes, and seeing that this book packs a punch on it makes me want to read it. I'll also love to find out how to beat the dream stealers, and not only break but demolish and erode all barriers to my success. I should read this book. Thank you for the detailed review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”