Official Review: Into The Wilderness by Karen Marie Dion

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Flavours of Australia by Jonette George

Official Review: Into The Wilderness by Karen Marie Dion

Post by Cecilia_L » 04 Nov 2019, 00:23

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Into The Wilderness" by Karen Marie Dion.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"When you finally come out of your wilderness, make sure you've got the power that comes from standing strong in trials and believing in the goodness of God despite what appearances are."

Illustrating that life is stranger than fiction, Karen Marie Dion chronicles her experiences firsthand in her second book, Into the Wilderness: One Woman's Extraordinary Journey through Corruption, Lies, and Betrayal. After the end of her marriage and with virtually no financial support from her ex-husband, Dion seeks to build a new life for herself and support her two children. When she starts a new business to provide for her family, she inadvertently becomes embroiled in a web of small-town corruption. Although Dion takes appropriate legal action, the tenants who are destroying her property and owe her thousands of dollars seem to be beyond the reach of the law. After Dion's attorney advises her to file a complaint with the Attorney General, she becomes a Judicial Conduct witness, and despite the FBI's involvement, she fears for her safety. With heartfelt candor, Dion recounts her wilderness journey and the faith that sustained her when all else failed.

Dion's intriguing narrative of the corruption she faced is compelling, shocking, and hard to imagine. It is beyond admirable that she consistently models integrity despite being treated unfairly in both business and personal relationships. This is not to imply that she sugarcoats the shady dealings or holds in her feeling; she appropriately expresses frustration, suspicion, and anger. Dion quotes the words of Jesus: "I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. Therefore, be innocent as doves but shrewd as serpents."

Although Dion's account of numerous frauds and corrupt business dealings is a relevant part of her story, the sheer volume of offenses is overwhelming. However, she balances the weighty content by sharing personal tidbits about other aspects of her life. For instance, home decor is one of my passions, and I especially like the details she shares about decorating her bed-and-breakfast. "As we worked our way down the wall, we discovered original milk paint stenciling on the wall, in a border along the top and midway down. It was beautiful, with flourishes of terracotta, blue, and a faint brown and green."

The only thing I dislike is an inconsistency regarding names. The building code inspector is introduced as Phil O'Conner. However, in several instances, he is mistakenly referred to as Bill. Additionally, there are multiple errors, such as missing articles and the incorrect use of plural versus possessive.

Sadly, due to the number of errors, I am unable to award the book a perfect rating. I rate Into the Wilderness 3 out of 4 stars. I caution sensitive readers that it contains profanity and non-explicit sexual references. I recommend the book to readers who appreciate stories involving strong women and overcoming adversity. While Dion credits her faith in God for seeing her through such difficult circumstances, her message of hope and perseverance is universal.

Into The Wilderness
View: on Bookshelves

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Miller56 » 06 Nov 2019, 15:05

Thanks for the review. Sounds like an intriguing tale. I will have to put this on my reading list.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 06 Nov 2019, 16:44

Miller56 wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 15:05
Thanks for the review. Sounds like an intriguing tale. I will have to put this on my reading list.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

jeminah28
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 600
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by jeminah28 » 06 Nov 2019, 19:03

Thank you for the review, I am always amazed by a woman with a strong personality.
"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One by Dom Brandt

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Nov 2019, 21:20

It definitely seems like the author has been through quite an ordeal. It seems like we can learn from these experiences. It's too bad about the errors, though. Thanks for another interesting review.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

1deannajv
Currently Reading: The Human Brain Book
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1deannajv.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by 1deannajv » 06 Nov 2019, 22:55

Thanks for the review. I enjoy reading about strong women overcoming adversity and this book sounds interesting. Unfortunately, the number of errors makes me hesitant to read the book.

Mutegude
2019 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Mutegude » 07 Nov 2019, 02:41

The author seems like she has been through a lot. Anyway thanks for the review I am definatly going to be reading this book sometime in the future.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Hearts Set Free by Jess Lederman

Post by Magnify3 » 07 Nov 2019, 04:02

It is quite sad what corruption does. You need justice but end up a victim. Her faith in God really saw her through. Thanks for the review!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Nov 2019, 15:01

jeminah28 wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 19:03
Thank you for the review, I am always amazed by a woman with a strong personality.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Nov 2019, 15:02

kandscreeley wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 21:20
It definitely seems like the author has been through quite an ordeal. It seems like we can learn from these experiences. It's too bad about the errors, though. Thanks for another interesting review.
Thank you!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Nov 2019, 15:03

1deannajv wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 22:55
Thanks for the review. I enjoy reading about strong women overcoming adversity and this book sounds interesting. Unfortunately, the number of errors makes me hesitant to read the book.
Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Nov 2019, 15:03

Mutegude wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 02:41
The author seems like she has been through a lot. Anyway thanks for the review I am definatly going to be reading this book sometime in the future.
Enjoy!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Nov 2019, 15:04

Magnify3 wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 04:02
It is quite sad what corruption does. You need justice but end up a victim. Her faith in God really saw her through. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome. Thanks sharing.

ashley_claire
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 128
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: Last Another Day by Baileigh Higgins

Post by ashley_claire » 08 Nov 2019, 09:02

I feel like the title of this book is a little misleading and I was expecting a story about survival in the wild. But I’m glad you enjoyed it. It’s a shame when the only thing knocking a book down a star rating is the editing. Nice review!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 08 Nov 2019, 13:54

ashley_claire wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 09:02
I feel like the title of this book is a little misleading and I was expecting a story about survival in the wild. But I’m glad you enjoyed it. It’s a shame when the only thing knocking a book down a star rating is the editing. Nice review!
The title confused me at first until I realized the author was referring to spiritual wilderness. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”