Review by Kabui-nj -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kabui-nj
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Kabui-nj -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kabui-nj »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands is an autobiographical account of the life of Jorge P. Newbery as he passed through hard seasons in his life and how he endured, becoming a successful mogul in real estate. The author portrays in this book that everyone goes through hardships i.e. burn zones which are way beyond us and they test our resilience to the limit. Mr. Newbery who is now the CEO of American Homeowner Preservation (AHP) shares tips on how to go through ‘burn zones’ and come out whole and better.

In this amazing book, chronological events of the life of Mr. Newbery start from an early age selling newspapers on the streets of Los Angeles and a series of ‘burn zones’ that he passed through while growing. He was also involved in wrestling, an athlete, a music producer and also a cyclist. The book highlights issues to do with racism, betray and dealing with debt and how to overcome them through handwork and determination.

The favorite part that I loved most in this book is the excellent descriptive narration of the events in a chronological way, making the book easy to read. I also loved the use of photos which enhanced the themes in this book. There is also a unique use of song lyrics which brought a lively and captivating ambiance to the book. The author lightens the mood of this sober book by the use of humor. An example is how he describes his dancing as, "like Shaggy in Scooby-Doo."

There is nothing I disliked about this book. It is flawless, well written and therefore it was easy to follow. The theme of the book i.e. ‘burn zones’ is well spread in the whole book as each chapter deals with a specific issue that the author had to deal with. The chapters are short and therefore making the book an easy read and hard to put down. The book doesn’t contain erotic sexual scenes or any profanity.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I didn’t note any typographical or spelling errors. I can therefore say that it is professionally edited. I would recommend this book to lovers and anyone interested in memoirs and autobiographies. Entrepreneurs and real estate enthusiasts may also love this book because the author shares many tips on how to excel in both of these fields. In general, this book is for everyone who is or has gone through hard seasons in their lives in pursuit of their dreams.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”