Official Review: Connect for Classroom Success

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: We Drank Wine by Marion Reidel

Official Review: Connect for Classroom Success

Post by mmm17 » 27 Oct 2019, 17:09

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Connect for Classroom Success" by R. Janet Walraven.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Connect for Classroom Success: A Mentoring Guide for Teachers K-12, written by R. Janet Walraven, is a thoughtful and thorough handbook designed to help teachers successfully tackle their daily tasks and challenges. Walraven, a teacher with thirty-five years of experience in both public and private schools, believes that “education is not what it used to be, academically or otherwise. Our nation’s schools are in trouble.” In this book, she gives a valuable contribution to the amelioration of this state of affairs.

For starters, I liked the author’s use of language very much. Besides being qualified and experienced, she is also passionate about the subject. I appreciated her candid, straightforward, and often witty mode of expression. The chapters are well-structured and have creative titles. The author closes each chapter with an inspiring quote; at the end of the book, there is a glossary that is creatively titled “Odds and Ends.”

The book’s greatest strength, in my opinion, is its pragmatic and hands-on approach. Walraven doesn’t spend much time discussing abstract concepts or theories. She delves right into concrete and practical examples, dialogues, and real-world situations. I enjoyed the many scenarios she presented. Most of them entail dialogues in which a teacher (Ms. J) interacts with students or parents. The author also provides useful models of contracts and logs to be used by teachers. Plenty of related topics get addressed – Walraven explores and exemplifies ways to effectively deal with students, parents, administrators, and custodians. I was particularly touched by how Ms. J connected with Jonah, a Native American student, in “Connect to Success: Be Patient and Persevere.”

Above all, I admired and agreed with the author’s reasoning and recommendations. For instance, she argues that when students fail, act out, or retreat, they are probably not excellent readers. Therefore, she strongly recommends a method called Read Right – “a research-based program that provides an environment that compels the brain to learn to read excellently.” Walraven is a disciple of William Glasser, the teacher-philosopher who maintains that students want to do quality work but fear to fail. I enjoyed how she shared her experience with the Glasser method.

In closing, I gladly rate Connect for Classroom Success 4 out of 4 stars. The book seems professionally edited; I only found a few minor mishaps. There is nothing I disliked about it. Kudos to the author for coming across as a highly competent professional with the best intentions – the kind of person that makes a great mentor. The book will surely appeal to readers interested in education. Although it is primarily for teachers, I believe it is also a good read for policymakers, administrators, and parents.

Connect for Classroom Success
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

MsH2k
Favorite Book: The Oracle
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by MsH2k » 04 Nov 2019, 13:38

What a wonderful way for this teacher to share her wisdom. My mother was an elementary school teacher. When she retired in the 1980s, she commented on how much the classroom was changing - and not in favor of the students’ long-term success. I think I would enjoy this book. Thanks for a great review!

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 04 Nov 2019, 14:53

MsH2k wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 13:38
What a wonderful way for this teacher to share her wisdom. My mother was an elementary school teacher. When she retired in the 1980s, she commented on how much the classroom was changing - and not in favor of the students’ long-term success. I think I would enjoy this book. Thanks for a great review!
It is a great book. Thanks for commenting!

spluficvictory
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory » 04 Nov 2019, 17:22

This is an excellent book showcasing the author's wisdom. I like the fact that she introduced concrete and practical examples, dialogues, and real-world situations into this book. Awesome review
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One by Dom Brandt

Post by kandscreeley » 04 Nov 2019, 20:34

It sounds like this author has a lot to offer for anyone in education or with children. It sounds like the book is quite well presented, which is a huge plus. All in all, it seems really well done. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra » 05 Nov 2019, 08:06

Always nice to see a well-written book by an actual professional in the field. Not many chose to write. I've read a few by 'pseudoprofessional' and they drive me a bit mad, honestly. Great review by the way!

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 05 Nov 2019, 15:22

spluficvictory wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 17:22
This is an excellent book showcasing the author's wisdom. I like the fact that she introduced concrete and practical examples, dialogues, and real-world situations into this book. Awesome review
The book is very practical, indeed. Thank you for your comments!

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 05 Nov 2019, 15:23

La Cabra wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 08:06
Always nice to see a well-written book by an actual professional in the field. Not many chose to write. I've read a few by 'pseudoprofessional' and they drive me a bit mad, honestly. Great review by the way!
This author is very experienced and knows what she is saying. Thanks for reading and commenting!

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 05 Nov 2019, 15:23

kandscreeley wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 20:34
It sounds like this author has a lot to offer for anyone in education or with children. It sounds like the book is quite well presented, which is a huge plus. All in all, it seems really well done. Thanks.
Thank you for reading and commenting!

jeminah28
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 600
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by jeminah28 » 05 Nov 2019, 18:48

I am looking forward to a book like this because I still have struggles connecting with the K-12 students. Thanks for the insightful review.
"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 08 Nov 2019, 09:50

jeminah28 wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 18:48
I am looking forward to a book like this because I still have struggles connecting with the K-12 students. Thanks for the insightful review.
This book will certainly help! Thanks!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 103
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: True Grit and Grace by Amberly Lago

Post by kdstrack » 14 Nov 2019, 21:29

This book is a needed resource written by someone who has seen what is happening in the classroom. I would like this book for homeschooling families. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”