Review by Noshi+1994 -- The Thundering Herd

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Noshi+1994
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noshi-1994.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Noshi+1994 -- The Thundering Herd

Post by Noshi+1994 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Thundering Herd" by John E. Peltier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Thundering Herd : A Memoir by John E. Peltier is a book that I really enjoyed reading. It is a story about family bond, perseverance, resilience, working hard and faith in God. The author’s ancestors are immigrants who come to America and try their hand in farming even though some of the places they settle have harsh climates. They work hard and never give up. We also see in the book strong family ties which help them succeed in their endeavours. God is the center of John’s family as they are raised in a Christian way and go to church as often as they can.

John comes from a big family thus the name “thundering herd”, which is given by their mother. They are very close and everyone plays a role in the family day to day activities. They work on the farm and help with house chores. This helps them to grow without fear of doing work. His experience in the farm comes in handy in his military duties. We are also able to get a glimpse of how the war was in Vietnam through his eyes. Every young man had the duty of enlisting in the military to serve his country and John and his brothers were not an exception.

I like this book because it is about real life events. It connects us with the events of the past such as immigration of people from Europe to America and how they make a home in their new country. We also see the effects of the war on families as young men go to war and die on the battlefield. My favourite part is when the author takes us back to his life growing up. He has a great childhood filled with amazing memories and it is evident that they are a family who love one another. They are a close family unit.

This book is suited for a wide range of audiences. It can be read by both the young and the old. Those who love books that are non fictitious will also enjoy the book. The story is very captivating and you find it hard to put the book down. Those who believe that family is important will also love reading the book. Lovers of history will also learn a lot from this book because it is very detailed. You get to see how people lived before all the inventions we have now.

I would rate this book with four out of four stars. It is exceptionally edited and the grammar is perfect. I enjoyed reading it. I love the way the author relates his past with his current situation. The flashbacks help in understanding the story more and in appreciating where he has come from. I would like to thank the author for sharing his family story with us.

The Thundering Herd
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”