Official Review: The Stage of Time by Matthew LaCroix

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: We Drank Wine by Marion Reidel

Official Review: The Stage of Time by Matthew LaCroix

Post by mmm17 » 24 Oct 2019, 14:47

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Stage of Time" by Matthew LaCroix.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Stage of Time: Secrets of the Past, the Nature of Reality, and the Ancient Gods of History, a non-fiction book written in the first person by Matthew LaCroix, presents an in-depth interpretation of ancient texts and their relation to the origin and nature of humanity and the universe. He argues that “ancient history holds all the answers.” The Nag Hammadi, the Book of Enoch, the Emerald Tablets, the Code of Hammurabi, and other ancient writings get analyzed by the author throughout the book.

The author’s central argument is that there is a superior group of entities that are much older than humans. They may influence our reality using non-corporeal forms or humans as hosts. These individuals have had different names throughout history. Some examples are the Anunnaki (to the Sumerians), the Elohim (in the Bible), and the Archons (to the Gnostics). Some religions refer to them as fallen angels. LaCroix delves into the dualistic nature and symbolism used by these beings, particularly the eagle and the serpent.

I found the book to be well-organized, engaging, and educational. I appreciated how LaCroix abridged a great deal of information about ancient history. I was pleasantly surprised to learn unsuspected details about some fascinating ancient civilizations, as well as their mythologies and beliefs. I particularly liked the depiction of the Inca, Maya, and Aztec cultures, especially their serpent-dragon gods. I enjoyed how the author explains and interconnects ancient symbols, and the illustrations were a nice bonus. LaCroix comes across as a knowledgeable and passionate scholar.

On the other hand, I disliked the conspiracy theory aspect that permeated the author’s arguments. The notion that a few individuals (the Global Elite, Illuminati, or Cabal) secretly control the world seemed farfetched. LaCroix claimed that the truth is being deliberately hidden and suppressed from the public, which I also thought was an overstatement. The author acknowledges that it may be difficult to digest some of his theories, and I agree with him.

In closing, I rate The Stage of Time 3 out of 4 stars. It seems professionally edited; I only found a minor punctuation mishap. I’m taking a star away because some overstatements detracted from my enjoyment of the book. It is a pity, though. If the author had seemed less adamant about a few claims, especially the conspiracy theories, I would gladly give it the highest rating. As stated by LaCroix at the beginning of the book, it is for open-minded thinkers. If you like ancient myths and discussions about the origins of the universe, it will surely appeal to you. If you value a strictly scientific approach, you might consider skipping this one.

The Stage of Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: F in Exams
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 26 Oct 2019, 08:44

I'm torn. On the one hand, I'm interested in symbols and their meanings across cultures, but on the other I'm not sure I'd be down for the conspiracy theory aspect that's in this particular book. It seems to reduce its credibility for me. Thanks though.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Alyssa
Currently Reading: Silken Scales
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa » 26 Oct 2019, 18:26

This sounds like there is a lot to absorb, I do enjoy the educational aspect and conspiracy theory all rolled into one. Thanks for a great review.

Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by Amanda Deck » 27 Oct 2019, 07:48

It sounds pretty interesting. I have no problems with conspiracy theories since humans have conspired throughout history; that's why we have laws against it. But that secret beings are ... hmmm. Sounds far-fetched but why not? I do prefer scientific proof but science is merely what we've figured out so far after all. Adding to that is that the results released are skewed quite often for political, power, and monetary considerations. Also, results are often taken way out of context by those hearing only the preliminary findings.

This could be fun to read. It will surely annoy me greatly to hear arguments laid out as if only the stupid would deny them, but I'll deal with it. It's not like it doesn't happen in life. In a book, you can skim those parts.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 103
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: True Grit and Grace by Amberly Lago

Post by kdstrack » 05 Nov 2019, 20:34

There are many premises that this author presents that I would disagree with. The sections about the Inca, Maya, and Aztec cultures would be appealing. Your insights about this book are impressive. Thanks for the thoughtful and honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”