Review by Le Diplomatique -- The Four Hats

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CarLematique
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-diplomatique.html
Latest Review: Life in a Box by JoDee Neathery

Review by Le Diplomatique -- The Four Hats

Post by CarLematique »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Four Hats" by Drake E. Taylor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a well-paced, expository that explains four leadership styles that can do well in many situations. From a personal point of view, Drake E. Taylor addresses people in leadership positions, who wish to give the best to their projects and teams. He speaks, with formality and clarity, from his vast wealth of leadership experience and knowledge. The plot of The Four Hats is easy to navigate through. The author has effectively laid out his ideas in a sequence that compliments each other and his rich use of strong, relatable symbolism is a plus.

The topic is enthralling for a book on leadership. When I read the topic, my mind momentarily went to fashionable hats before realizing the hats were metaphorical. This awakened my curiosity on the book content. The author has paid keen attention to the details which, in my opinion, are sufficient to enlighten the reader on his chosen subject. The author succeeded in luring me to reading a book on leadership; generally, I find leadership books to be boring, like singing lullabies to babies. However, this one captured my attention. The imagery played a great part in getting the message across.

The use of stories worked well in passing his message across. His excellent way of describing the four hats is satisfactory. The suggestions of self-care activities, leadership quotes and the subordinate questionnaire at the back of the book is a helpful addition for the reader. The grammar is accurate and simple. The prose is professionally edited. It neither contains erotic content not does it contain profanities.

I most liked the author's creativity in passing the leadership message across using the metaphorical hats. I most liked this because it led me to understand leadership in a way I have not understood before. It is a simple prose that delivers its message in an inventive way. I also liked his use of quotes for the opening of each chapter because it felt like he was preparing the reader on what to expect ahead. I did not like anything least because the whole prose was captivating, relevant and authoritative.

I recommend this book to all leaders and aspiring leaders in all facets of life. Leadership is everywhere; in parenting, work place, religious setting, political setting and many other areas. This book is an easy-to-read and an all-rounder loaded with the simplest language. It can be plainly understood by anyone.

I came across only two excusable punctuation omissions as listed below;
however you – however, you ( Pg.7)
may love you, yet are you - may love you. Yet, are you/ may love you, yet, are you (Pg. 51).

I will not rate it 3 because it is professionally edited, factual, relevant and exciting to read. I rate The Four Hats 4 out of 4 stars.

The Four Hats
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”