Review by mama_ash -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mama_ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-ash_1063445.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by mama_ash -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by mama_ash »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Jorge P. Newbery’s autobiography Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands the reader gets a front row seat to Newbery’s life. We see Jorge’s entrepreneurial spirit start at a young age when he decides to deliver newspapers. Readers follow Newberry through many endeavors, in each one seeing how he overcame obstacles and came out stronger than when he began. Jorge’s story climaxes when he takes the risk of entering the world of real estate, ultimately obtaining over 4,000 apartment units. However, one acquisition was too risky and Jorge’s life began to fall to pieces. In an attempt to save and rebuild his good name, Newbery finds a way to help others in need.

Often times autobiographies come off as boring and unentertaining, but this is not the case for Burn Zones. Jorge Newbery writes his story in such an intriguing manner that captivates his audience from beginning to end. Throughout this read I felt as though I was reading a non-fiction novel, not because it was unrealistic, but because of Newbery’s talented writing skills and his ability to tell his story in an fascinating manner. I commend the author on his ability to tell of his life in such a fascinating way.

Another aspect of Newbery’s writing that I thoroughly enjoyed was his ability to turn his mistakes into life lessons for his readers. This book could almost be a self help book for people who are struggling in any stage of life. Newbery ends his book with his realization that he alone controls himself and that he is responsible for his actions, not anyone else. This “aha moment” is a valuable lesson that any reader can take with them in life.

One of Newbery’s characteristics that we see throughout each of his endeavors is that he is a perfectionist, he gets things done the right way. This autobiography is another example of his perfectionism in the sense that it is written so well. It is clear that Newbery took his time to make sure the book was edited and put together professionally so that it would become something he could be proud of.

Ultimately, I thoroughly enjoyed this real life story about overcoming the bad hands we can be dealt in life. I truly believe this is a book to recommend to everyone as there are so many valuable lessons that can be used in many of life’s situations. Overall, I rate Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands 4 out of 4 because it is entertaining, teaches great life lessons, and is written in a professional manner.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by Reader5698 »

Great review! I really enjoyed this book as well and loved how Newbery always tried to look for lessons in his mistakes.

djr6090
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Currently Reading: Inheritance
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: Butter Me Fly by Cheurlie Pierre-Russell

Post by djr6090 »

What impressed me the most about this book is that he really enjoyed working. No whining about how hard life was, no victim imaging. He is really an extraordinary man.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”