Review by Ekta Swarnkar -- Finding A Job in Tough Times

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by Ekta Swarnkar -- Finding A Job in Tough Times

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Finding A Job in Tough Times" by Dr. Tim Johnson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you an over-aged struggler looking for a settling job? Or a recent graduate dreaming of a shining future? Do you strive for the satisfaction of accomplishment? Or you only urge to get promoted from your post? Do not worry more here's a dedicated tutorial to help you reach your milestone.

I have always believed that a smart way of learning is to get an insight through someone else's life experiences. Also, if a person is willing to teach from his journey then there are chances of learning valuable facts. The author Dr. Tim Johnson is the giver here in his book Finding a Job In Tough Times which he presents as his Journal and a guide. After reading about the author (I was impressed with his educational qualifications!), I am absolutely sure that anyone can easily rely on this generous writer.

The non-fictional book has two characters, yourself and the writer. He is a mentor and you are a learner. The author first told the purpose of writing the book in the introduction then he ensured to give an action plan to help you prepare yourself a knight in a shining armor wherever you want to shine. The fun part of the book is that each chapter has an exercise for you to analyze yourself. It's fun because you'll improve while you enjoy it. The book is different from others because you will not only read it but will experience it.

As it is an informal conversation between the writer and the reader so its language is simple. In some places, the writer mentioned Jesus and his sayings to strengthen his points. The regular involvement of his own practices added a realism to the facts he delivered. The usage of quotes is frequent throughout the text. A quote from Page no. 80 is

"Serendipity happens if you are available."

The quoted texts like this inspired me to finish the book.

After covering the good aspects of the book, I hate to say that the thing that continuously flawed the text is a large number of errors. Basic grammatical errors, incorrect words, and punctuational omissions were there from the beginning. It was not professionally edited. In fact, I wonder if it was ever sent for editing.

In my opinion, the book is good for anyone to read. Not only the job seekers will benefit from it but also those who wish to be an improved personality. As I do not find any profane words it can be read by any age group. I doubt that fiction readers may not like it.

I could not rate this book more than 2 out of 4 stars. One star I deducted because of its poor editing. I was able to pick out an error on alternate pages. Another star I reduced because of a feeling that the execution of the book can be more systematic. I think the chapters were randomly written, and the assignment of them with stepwise topics was not done. Otherwise, it is a good book.

Life is an exciting experience when your next step remains a mystery.

Finding A Job in Tough Times
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Thanks for your review! It seems like an interesting self-help book for those looking for employment. It's unfortanate that there were so many errors. I'm curious how exactly the chapters were written and if there might have been a way to make that better as well. Either way, I hope this book can help people.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I thought the book showed a tremendous amount of compassion for the fragile egos of an out-of-work reader. So often a guide to job preparedness is about packaging yourself to suit what you think the market is buying. This guide helps you to uncover the best of your own features and relate them to a job search. Very well done.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Advice is usually well-received if it is well-given. I hope the author goes back to the drawing board and fixes the overall structure of the book and other errors that need fixing. I am not the right audience for this book, so I'll have to pass. Thanks for the review!
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

Books with good advice on finding a job are very rare. I hope the author takes the hint and fixes all the defects, since the content is so useful. Thanks for a great review! :)
Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

tristenb wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 12:06 Thanks for your review! It seems like an interesting self-help book for those looking for employment. It's unfortanate that there were so many errors. I'm curious how exactly the chapters were written and if there might have been a way to make that better as well. Either way, I hope this book can help people.
It is helpful anyone if he intends to read it leaving the errors. Thanks for the comment!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

djr6090 wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 17:20 I thought the book showed a tremendous amount of compassion for the fragile egos of an out-of-work reader. So often a guide to job preparedness is about packaging yourself to suit what you think the market is buying. This guide helps you to uncover the best of your own features and relate them to a job search. Very well done.

Exactly, it not only limited to shaping yourself for job interviews but also to meet with those talents and enhance them. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Ever_Reading wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 02:28 Advice is usually well-received if it is well-given. I hope the author goes back to the drawing board and fixes the overall structure of the book and other errors that need fixing. I am not the right audience for this book, so I'll have to pass. Thanks for the review!
I really wish the writer consider your advice. Thanks for stopping by!
Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Juliet+1 wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 22:34 Books with good advice on finding a job are very rare. I hope the author takes the hint and fixes all the defects, since the content is so useful. Thanks for a great review! :)
It really is! When I first saw it even I got curious about its content. Thanks for stopping by!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I've read a few reviews of this book, and each one makes me want to read it more, even with the errors. I think it would still be agood resource for someone like me who is just starting in the direction of her dream career. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Sounds like a very helpful book. It's a pity that the chapters were poorly organized because I think that order is an important quality in books that are meant to guide. Thank you for the review!
Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Letora wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 05:27 I've read a few reviews of this book, and each one makes me want to read it more, even with the errors. I think it would still be agood resource for someone like me who is just starting in the direction of her dream career. Thank you for your review!
You have got your catch. I wish you all the best. Thanks for stopping by!
Ekta Swarnkar
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 08:09 Sounds like a very helpful book. It's a pity that the chapters were poorly organized because I think that order is an important quality in books that are meant to guide. Thank you for the review!
It is still informative and helpful. Thanks for stopping by!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I could use and learn from the author’s experiences on how to survive lean times. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Nice book with two characters, the reader and the author, like one to one talking , giving guidance on getting jobs in difficult times. Thanks for your good review which gave more insights about this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”