Review by klbradley -- Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by klbradley -- Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ripcord Recovery" by T.T. Sawyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ripcord Recovery is a self-help motivational read written by T.T. Sawyer. Published in April 2018, the narrative is perfectly suited for those looking for a way to overcome their self-destructive tendencies of addition. The Kindle edition is right under 80 pages, making it easily achievable to read in one sitting. Featuring not only first-person narratives of his own struggle with addiction, the story includes comical and simple illustrations that can further show the author's emotions while dealing with his struggles.

Although written for a focus group of those involved in substance addiction and looking for a successful way out, I found that the narrative is also well-suited for those who have family and friends dealing with addiction. The themes within the book can be difficult for some to read about, as they include addiction, recovery, depression, and mentions of suicidal thoughts. Although these themes can often be difficult to read about, the author's ability to display these issues within himself and how he was able to positively deal with them can give others the awareness that they are not alone in their struggle.

The insight into an addict's life is often something that non-addicts can become judgmental about. However, the author offers an inspirational insight into how he has been able to successfully overcome his addictive tendencies in a way that has shown to be an improvement for not only his life medically but also his mental well-being. While the author's story is a three-decade-long struggle, he is now taking the time to share what he has found works best for him and has given him the chance at living a full and well-balanced life.

The language used by the author is raw and honest, which is something that I feel is most beneficial for those who are struggling with addiction. Most of us enjoy reading a happy story, but in order to reach emotional depth for those who need it, the author has found a way to tell his story while including the moments that aren't so happy and uplifting, which shows that addicts are not alone in their emotional roller coaster of recovery. Whether the addiction is based on alcohol or drug addiction, those in recovery can benefit from the author's brutal honesty. The author displays a strong writing ability, which likely stems from his inclusion of writing as one of his career choices. The editing is well done, leaving no grammatical or spelling errors to be found.

Although I have never personally suffered from any kind of addiction, I found the author's narrative to be beneficial in understanding the emotions and turmoil which follows some of the people I love most in the world. Recovery is a hard and never-ending process that requires complete devotion. Along with tools and coping mechanisms that are needed in recovery, the author's inclusion of his own true struggles allows other recovering addicts a chance to relate to his story while also offering a non-traditional opportunity to try the system he has developed that has appeared to work seamlessly for him. I'm pleased to rate Ripcord Recovery 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend it to not only recovering addicts but also to those who are living with or are close to someone who is suffering.

Ripcord Recovery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”