Official Review: Learning to Procrastinate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Learning to Procrastinate

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Learning to Procrastinate" by Valerian Ruminski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've often heard that "life is only as hard as you make it," but Valerian Ruminski takes that concept to a whole new level with Learning to Procrastinate! This short, hilarious novel is a call to arms (or, perhaps, a call to beds) for people all over the world to relax indefinitely.

In Learning to Procrastinate!, Valerian explores the glory of sleep while demonizing almost everything one might do in his or her waking moments. In fact, Valerian manages to explain that the world is so badly off because we're so busy in the first place. "Busy-ness," as he puts it, is the cause of global warming, war, the vast majority of deaths, overpopulation, hatred, and pretty much everything else that's bad.

The book is mostly a humorous romp through the joys of laziness, but it's also more poignant than I'd expected. For example, Valerian says that the ultimate form of protest would be to simply sleep. He says that if people stopped going to work, stayed home (aside from buying absolute necessities), and slept their days away, it would cause more fear for the rich than almost anything else.

The book is a blend of methods to avoid work (including a step-by-step guide on how to lay down, sleep, and then not get up for as long as possible), short, fictional narratives, and terrific quotes. Some of these quotes come from famous people, but most of the lines I enjoyed the most were from the author himself. His writing voice is perfectly laid back and casual, yet it's clear he polished everything he wrote into the most perfect form possible. He also references lots of real things, my favorite of which is John Cage's "4'33"," which is essentially 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence "played" by John Cage. I looked it up and, like Learning to Procrastinate!, it's far deeper than I initially thought! As Valerian says, it's the perfect anthem for "the slacker movement."

My rating of Learning to Procrastinate! is 4 out of 4 stars. It was hilarious, it made me think, and the writing was perfect aside from the three grammatical errors I found. I'd eagerly recommend it to anyone who needs to learn to take a break as well as those who love to relax. It's also a no-brainer for anyone who loves to laugh. It's less than fifty pages long, so those who don't normally read should have no problem with it either. Heck, I'll probably buy a few copies of this book for friends and family as a gag gift, then smile when they realize it's deeper than it appears at first glance.

Learning to Procrastinate
View: on Bookshelves
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

This book sounds hilarious. I need the sequel though "Learning to Not Procrastinate". I think I have the procrastination part down. Thanks for the review.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Once again, you've written a review that captures the very essence of the book. You've made it impossible for me NOT to want to read it! Hopefully, that's a good thing. I'm not sure, though, if I need to be taught how to procrastinate even more than I already do!
missfrombliss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missfrombliss.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by missfrombliss »

I like an inteligent "satyrical" work. This looks to me like a book that would actually cure you from procrastination or just put it on a normal level. But who knows?
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I have no problem with learning how to procrastinate :lol2: . But I am very much intrigued by this book and I want to read it. Great review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

It seems like a good book for me to read as I have been reading some pretty intense books. Many days have I felt the need to snooze the alarm clock and just sleep in. Unfortunately, none of us have that luxury nowadays. I will definitely check this book out, just for the laughs.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”