Official Review: I'm Not Glowing, I'm Going to Poke You i...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Emergence of Modern Brain and Build Up of Imaginary Civilization by Dan M. Mrejeru

Official Review: I'm Not Glowing, I'm Going to Poke You i...

Post by raikyuu » 13 Oct 2019, 20:46

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'm Not Glowing, I'm Going to Poke You in the Eye" by V. Paul.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'm Not Glowing, I'm Going to Poke You in the Eye is a non-fiction book that talks about what one should expect during pregnancy. The book provides information by detailing the experiences of the author’s pregnancy. The author, V. Paul, provides us with an entertaining book as she recalls her joyful memories during her pregnancy, as well as her mishaps along the way.

The book starts with the author’s experiences during the first trimester, wherein she talks about her pregnancy test and her visit to the Ob-Gyn. The second trimester focuses on the problems she faced during her pregnancy, which include skin problems and blood pressure problems. The third trimester culminates with the birth of the author’s daughter.

I like how the author interestingly provides information about pregnancy. Her stories provide clarity to what is expected in pregnancy. The book does provide technical information (such as hCG levels), but the author relates such information to her experiences. This makes the information in the book more memorable.

Also, I like how the stories are entertaining to read. The author manages to make every scene in the book look exciting, such that even her visit to the Ob-Gyn is a memorable read. In fact, her pregnancy is one huge emotional roller coaster. A reader doesn’t have to be pregnant to enjoy the stories in the book.

My only problem with I'm Not Glowing, I'm Going to Poke You in the Eye is the awkward formatting in certain chapters. Some paragraphs in these chapters have font sizes that are bigger than the rest of the text. This is not a major issue for me since these are usually the first paragraphs of the chapter, which makes me think that the huge font sizes are intentional. But still, one can easily spot the awkwardness of the formatting. Other than that, I can say that the book is professionally edited since the book contains no grammatical errors.

It’s amazing to see a book that is informative and entertaining at the same time. Overall, I'm Not Glowing, I'm Going to Poke You in the Eye is a valuable resource for people who are curious about pregnancy. After considering the aforementioned factors, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. While I can recommend this book to anyone, I think that the book is more suitable for people who are pregnant. Note that this book is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice.

I'm Not Glowing, I'm Going to Poke You in the Eye
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
-rk

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One by Dom Brandt

Post by kandscreeley » 21 Oct 2019, 19:36

There are quite a few pregnancy books out there, but the tone of this one sounds unique and fun. I love that it's from the author's own experiences. I don't need it, but I'm almost tempted to read it anyway. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 103
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: True Grit and Grace by Amberly Lago

Post by kdstrack » 22 Oct 2019, 20:21

The author has included a great wealth of information about pregnancy. Her visit to the doctor sounds interesting. I'm wondering if she included any information about labor and birth? Great review!

MBW
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by MBW » 25 Oct 2019, 15:07

Seems like this book has it all, humor and story telling plus helpful I formation.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”