Official Review: The double Helix by Dr.Ahamed Kutty.M.D.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: The double Helix by Dr.Ahamed Kutty.M.D.

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The double Helix" by Dr.Ahamed Kutty.M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How much of one’s life is predetermined? Is there such a thing as fate? Why would a loving God allow bad things to happen? In The Double Helix, Dr. Ahamed Kutty discusses predestination, fate, religion, and genetics. According to him, “human beings function physically and mentally through the action of DNA and genetics.” Consequently, “fate or predetermination can be explained based on the information that we carry in each cell in our body.”

The author puts God in a central place as he examines these subjects. According to Kutty, God has predetermined everything about each human being long before birth. In other words, fate got established in each genome by God. Hence, He has intrinsic control and knowledge of all that has happened and will happen, although He does not micromanage each ramification. These assertions sure seem plausible to me.

I enjoyed this book very much. In my opinion, its best aspect is how the author manages to combine modern science with traditional religious beliefs. This combination is not an easy one, but the author accomplishes it beautifully. Kutty not only reveled in the conciliation of science and religion, but he also explained fate cleverly and clearly. I appreciated the thoughtful analogies and metaphors, such as the book of life and the angel of death.

Above all, I liked the illuminating perspective on the Muslim faith. I felt this was a noteworthy positive point. As a Christian woman, I don’t get to know or talk to many Muslims, if any, so this title was a welcome opportunity to learn a little bit about the pillars of Islam. I was pleasantly surprised to discover several commonalities between the Bible and the Quran, both of which get cited throughout the book. I valued the all-embracing and generous spirit that permeated The Double Helix.

I also thought that the scientific aspects were well woven. The explorations of Darwinian evolution, mutations, and epigenetics – the activation of genes by external influences – were instructive. I particularly liked the insightful examples of how epigenetics can be related to Hindu and Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions and beliefs. I thought that the author’s conviction was heart-warming; he referred to epigenetics as an “endorsement of the sayings of the Prophet.”

In closing, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It had no noteworthy negative points and seemed professionally edited (with just a few minor errors). I believe it bears a positive, peaceful, and heartening message. To me, it was almost a feel-good book. I highly recommend it to those who are interested in an open-minded conciliation of science and religion. If you are a pronounced skeptic, you should probably skip this one.

The double Helix
View: on Bookshelves
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I've long thought the generational curses mentioned in the Bible are due to epigenetics. I like going through religious writings to find out what used to be considered ridiculous and superstitious that science now explains.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Amanda Deck wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 13:31 I've long thought the generational curses mentioned in the Bible are due to epigenetics. I like going through religious writings to find out what used to be considered ridiculous and superstitious that science now explains.
I had never thought about it until I read this book, but it surely seems like a plausible explanation. Thank you for your comments.
Zvjezdana Sever
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zvjezdana-sever.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Zvjezdana Sever »

I am always interested in the cross-section of biological predetermination and environmental influences. Thanks for the nice review, this books looks interesting!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I believe science and religion actually go hand in hand. The Case for a Creator explains it quite well in my opinion. I'm not sure I'll read this one as I don't think I'd see eye to eye with the author. It would be interesting to learn more about Islam, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

The title and the theme are incongruous to me. As a genetics professional I am not sure I would like to read religion and genetical predispositions together. But nevertheless, reconciling religion and science is a task and from your review it does seem like the author did a good job.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Hmm. There's a school of thought that this author seems to follow that states that science is the method to explain how God does what He does. I'm not sure I subscribe to everything because science still can't explain some things, but that's the point of it, I think? It sounds like this book is in line with that.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Zvjezdana Sever wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 14:44 I am always interested in the cross-section of biological predetermination and environmental influences. Thanks for the nice review, this books looks interesting!
It is an interesting book. Thanks for reading the review!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 17:29 I believe science and religion actually go hand in hand. The Case for a Creator explains it quite well in my opinion. I'm not sure I'll read this one as I don't think I'd see eye to eye with the author. It would be interesting to learn more about Islam, though.
I also believe science and religion go hand in hand. I will look for The Case for a Creator. Thanks!!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

MrunalT wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 21:04 The title and the theme are incongruous to me. As a genetics professional I am not sure I would like to read religion and genetical predispositions together. But nevertheless, reconciling religion and science is a task and from your review it does seem like the author did a good job.
I see what you mean regarding the title. Maybe it should be reconsidered to better convey the actual theme. Thank you for commenting!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 09:46 Hmm. There's a school of thought that this author seems to follow that states that science is the method to explain how God does what He does. I'm not sure I subscribe to everything because science still can't explain some things, but that's the point of it, I think? It sounds like this book is in line with that.
Agreed. I do not subscribe to everything he says, either. Like you, I do believe that science can't explain many things. Thank you for your comments!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

mmm17 wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 12:13
Nisha Ward wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 09:46 Hmm. There's a school of thought that this author seems to follow that states that science is the method to explain how God does what He does. I'm not sure I subscribe to everything because science still can't explain some things, but that's the point of it, I think? It sounds like this book is in line with that.
Agreed. I do not subscribe to everything he says, either. Like you, I do believe that science can't explain many things. Thank you for your comments!
I'm curious as to whether or not he brought up that even a lot of scientists acknowledge that some things aren't observable or explainable? Because a lot of science is just theory that hasn't been proven because they can't, so a lot of it relies on faith.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 14:18
mmm17 wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 12:13
I'm curious as to whether or not he brought up that even a lot of scientists acknowledge that some things aren't observable or explainable? Because a lot of science is just theory that hasn't been proven because they can't, so a lot of it relies on faith.
That is a good point. I don't recall the author specifically acknowledging that some things aren't observable or explainable. However, based on the book, I believe that would be his opinion also.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a unique and interesting read, but I don’t think it’s for me. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Meg98 wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 09:45 This sounds like a unique and interesting read, but I don’t think it’s for me. Thanks for this great review!
Thank you for reading it!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”