Official Review: You Can Be Funny and Make People Laugh

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 68
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: You Can Be Funny and Make People Laugh by Gregory Peart, M.Ed.

Official Review: You Can Be Funny and Make People Laugh

Post by EvaDar » 08 Oct 2019, 19:15

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Can Be Funny and Make People Laugh" by Gregory Peart, M.Ed..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“He’s as sharp as a balloon.” “You’re like the skinny nerdy version of Drake.” Do you hear people make these clever comments and wonder how they came up with them on the fly? Me too. I’m lucky if I can come up with words at all, let alone funny ones. See, that was humor – not great humor, granted. Laughing at yourself is just one of the techniques discussed by Gregory Peart in his 2019 nonfiction book, You Can Be Funny and Make People Laugh.

The book is a practical guide to conversational humor. It’s not a book of jokes. It won’t teach you how to tell a joke, either, but it could make you funnier and more interesting. Interjecting a little appropriate fun and playfulness into a conversation elicits an emotional response and allows us to relate to each other and feel more connected.

After years of watching funny people, such as Jerry Seinfeld, Robin Williams, and Conan O’Brien, the author discovered good humor comes from observing your surroundings and observing yourself. He breaks down his guidance into 35 techniques, giving real-life examples of each one and providing a brief analysis of why they work. Exaggeration, misdirection, and hypotheticals are among the many memorable techniques.

The importance of delivery is emphasized at every turn, and Peart shares some of his delivery secrets. He demonstrates by building dialogues around each technique and offers homework ideas. As a bonus, the Recommended Viewing section provides links to real examples of the techniques. From the masterfully self-deprecating Jennifer Lawrence and Conan O’Brien to Barack Obama, demonstrating the “Rule of Three” technique, these clips are funny.

I enjoyed reading this book, not because it made me laugh uproariously; that isn’t the point of the book. It caused me to think about how I interact with others. It spotlighted some common tendencies, like retreating into a “Literal Larry” persona when you (I) could be taking risks and making things interesting. The author’s tone is playful, in a brass-tacks sort of way. I appreciate Peart’s grasp of the vulnerability humor demands and his encouragement to push through it. I remember watching Johnny Carson (yep, I’m old) and being impressed with his ability to capitalize on the audience’s reaction to a joke that bombed. He eventually got the laugh, one way or another. In that vein, the book encourages learning to laugh at your own failed attempts at humor. It’s a tightrope not everyone can walk, but it’s a great exercise in authenticity and humility.

Technically, the book is very solid. The consistent structure and the step-by-step teaching style make the information digestible and the techniques, achievable. The examples helped, and I can see how rehearsing them could be fun, especially with a safe friend to practice with. I was impressed that the author stayed away from cruel and hurtful techniques. Humor that is achievable only at the expense of others is a comedy cop out, and Peart doesn’t go there. The book is professionally edited; I found only a handful of minor errors.

Gregory Peart is a skilled writer; he has authored numerous books in the realm of social skills. He definitely hit the mark with You Can Be Funny and Make People Laugh. I gladly rate the book 4 out of 4 stars for its solid, accessible guidance and compassionate, playful tone. I was in a really good mood after reading the book, and I encourage adults and young adults to try it. It would also make a great gift for your “Literal Larry” friends. If being funnier and more interesting in everyday interactions appeals to you, you will enjoy this book. If it doesn’t appeal to you, the book might be perfect for you.

You Can Be Funny and Make People Laugh
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Michelle Fred » 10 Oct 2019, 07:34

A good communicator is instantly a memorable person, so I believe the information in this book will be useful to a lot of readers, but most especially me. Thanks for the information.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Weenie Kleegan by Hamlin Tallent

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Oct 2019, 19:18

Any book that puts me in a good mood after reading is one I need to pick up! I love interjecting humor into conversations. I'll have to read this. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

HeatherEi
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by HeatherEi » 10 Oct 2019, 19:40

This sounds very intriguing! I feel like a stumble over my words a lot, maybe this will help!

EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar » 10 Oct 2019, 21:05

Michelle Fred wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 07:34
A good communicator is instantly a memorable person, so I believe the information in this book will be useful to a lot of readers, but most especially me. Thanks for the information.
It really is worth the read. Thanks for stopping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed

EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar » 10 Oct 2019, 21:06

kandscreeley wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 19:18
Any book that puts me in a good mood after reading is one I need to pick up! I love interjecting humor into conversations. I'll have to read this. Thanks.
It's actually one of my favorite OBC books I've read. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping in!
-Nayyirah Waheed

EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar » 10 Oct 2019, 21:06

HeatherEi wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 19:40
This sounds very intriguing! I feel like a stumble over my words a lot, maybe this will help!
It actually gave me some confidence that I could take more risks and be a little more playful in conversations. Thanks for dropping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed

MrunalT
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalt.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MrunalT » 11 Oct 2019, 01:55

I like being around people who carry funny and quirky repartee in their pockets. Being appropriately funny and humorous is a serious skill. Glad that a book is written as a practical guide to achieve these conversational skills!

EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar » 11 Oct 2019, 10:40

MrunalT wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 01:55
I like being around people who carry funny and quirky repartee in their pockets. Being appropriately funny and humorous is a serious skill. Glad that a book is written as a practical guide to achieve these conversational skills!
The book really does accomplish its goal. More funny people wouldn't be a bad thing! Thanks for stopping in!
-Nayyirah Waheed

Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Nickolas Farmakis » 12 Oct 2019, 02:03

This is an excellent review, as it summarises the book excellently, while the reviewer also successfully shares their opinion of the book. Moreover, the reviewer explains which readers would appreciate the book, and the tone of the review is very friendly. Well done!

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by AntonelaMaria » 14 Oct 2019, 14:33

I think this very useful book. But with self-help books is always a roulette if I will actually enjoy it. Glad this was a winner for you.

Miriam Molina
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 575
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html