Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- Read My Mind

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- Read My Mind

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Read My Mind" by Stephen McLeod.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

David trudged the way from Central Station to the park for a place to contemplate “existence,” or “his role in the world,” and “to discover the personality he needed to make himself popular.” He found himself in a garden with manicured lawns, exotic trees, and a fish pond. What a fitting ambiance for his lofty thoughts. I thought it reminiscent of Academus grove, the site of Plato’s Academy, where philosophers congregated. Moreover, it seemed fortuitous that David had the philosopher Nietzsche with him in a book. Other philosophers, he could quote verbatim if needed. The graffiti on the walls made him aware of the pulse of popular opinion of the times, and the epigrammatic lyrics of Jim Morrison’s songs wafting in his ears attuned him to music and poetry. “The contest of life had begun,” he mused. “All I want to be is handsome and talented,” he considered. Afterward, he concluded: “Money, sex, and power; that’s all I need.”

Then as though to augur something ominous, or auspicious — whichever it would turn out to be in the succeeding years of David’s life — a raven makes its appearance into the scene. David does not ascribe any significance to this incident, but that can’t dispel from my mind the gnawing suspicion that the author might presage something of importance. Or else, that can just be a humorous mimicry or meme on Edgar Allan Poe.

Thus would David start to bare his mind to us in this book Read my Mind: True Tales for Cathartic Consumption by Stephen McLeod which chronicles thirty years of David’s life as he transforms from an idealistic youth to a seasoned middle-aged man.

Stephen McLeod had presented, to a remarkable degree of realism, David’s character as a philosophical youth aspiring for popularity and power. And inasmuch as Nietzsche figured significantly in David’s psyche, I thought David should have subscribed to Nietzsche’s idea of a “Superman” as well, albeit in the right perspective. Nietzsche delineated this to be something intrinsic, not physical as how the Nazis have blatantly misinterpreted.

I liked how McLeod utilized poems and song lyrics, epigrams, aphorisms, platitudes, and quotes from philosophers to mold the mindset of David, then in a sense, rationalize David’s desires or failures. For instance, David hoped of having his rock-star attributes to be discovered when he mused: “Great lyrics is all I need.” Then he further added, “Oh, damn! And that musical supergroup too.” Einstein would embolden him: “You only fail when you stop trying.” And some time afterward, there was this poem: “It’s Cool to be Ordinary.”

I was amazed to discover several utterances of David’s to be lines or phrases of personages in History or the media. He had the penchant to speak in a grandiose manner, usually utilizing memorable verses — recognizable as having been said elsewhere in books, plays or movies. For instance, when parking his car he would say, “Let’s land this module.” To open the car doors he’ll say, “Open the pod bay doors, Hal?” Before leaving, he’ll declare, “I shall return.” And upon his return, he’ll announce, “The eagle had landed.” Now, wary that he might be labeled as being dreamy, he retorted, “You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.” There were many more. With all those considered, I must say that Stephen McLeod had written majestically, making this gem of a memoir virtually a portmanteau of witticism and humor.

There is nothing I disliked in the book, although I disagreed with some of the philosophies. The ideas herein presented were thought-provoking, and of widely ranging topics touching on personal matters, religion, spirituality, local and global issues. With that said, I recommend this book to matured readers of the non-fiction genre, especially to those who love memoirs and poetry. Three errors slipped past the editors, but the writing was adeptly executed to exude wit and humor. Read My Mind: True Tales for Cathartic Consumption is hereby rated 4 out of 4 stars.

And lastly, I can’t leave the page without saying: I like the poem titled “Steroids” despite its title’s seeming disregard for the contents. Here’s an excerpt:

“Scholars ink is holier than
Martyrs blood of any old clan
Shame and guilt, pain and regret
History repeats, lest we forget

Funded by giants, fashioned by elves
Profit to others, loss to ourselves
Fox on the prowl and bird on the wing
Laugh as the clown is considered a King.”

Read My Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Based on your review, I can tell that this book isn't my cup of tea; however, it sounds like you really enjoyed reading it. I'm glad you found it so enjoyable!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This doesn't sound like a book for me, but I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”