Review by JackR24 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JackR24
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackr24.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by JackR24 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by JackR24 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands is a wonderful autobiography written by Jorge P. Newbery. In this book, the author tells his personal story of success and failures throughout his life. He describes his hardships as "burn zones," a term that is used often in cycling to describe a period of time where a person exerts great effort. This term is used frequently throughout the book to help the reader know when the author is in this period of time in his life.

Jorge Newbery talks about his early life, and this really sets the stage for the rest of the book. I really enjoyed reading through and seeing how his early life shaped his future life. The reader is able to watch the author grow in his life; starting from a small boy who worked as a paper boy, Jorge Newbery pushed himself to bigger and better things. Even after a devastating time where he lost nearly everything, the reader sees the same push from him as in the beginning. The only major change is the maturity of it.

There were many different parts of this book I liked. The first one would be the honesty of the author. In the book, he uses his retrospect to discuss things that he could've done differently. One prime example of this is when he talks about Woodland Meadows. He states that at that time in his life, he wanted to make it work after disaster hit. However, he mentions that he had other options that would have been better. The second thing I liked is how the author showed how he grew throughout his life. He takes the time to talk about the different jobs he had worked, and how his mind kept pushing him to do more.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 rating. There is very little, if anything, to dislike about it. There were no errors within the book, and it seemed to be professionally written and edited. It contained only some uses of profanity, making it a clean read for those who do read it. I believe that most people would enjoy this book, but it is aimed at an audience of people who have "burn zones" currently in their lives. People who want to know that hardships are not the end would benefit from reading this book. They would be able to see how they can use harder times to produce greater times, just like the author shows in his own life.

All in all, this book was intriguing, unique, and helpful to read. I would highly recommend it to others as it was definitely something I enjoyed.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”