Official Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spontaneous Addiction Recovery" by Dr. James Slobodzien.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

James Slobodzien’s book Spontaneous Addiction Recovery: We Have the Mind of Christ is an exploration of the relationship between addiction and spiritual awakening. As the title suggests, it is rooted in a firmly Biblical perspective, and is laced with direct quotes from the Bible and other Christian writings throughout.

The premise of the book is based in the author’s assertion that many studies show that large numbers of people suffering from addiction recover spontaneously (without outside help), typically by the age of 30. As the author discusses trends and historical backgrounds of a variety of addictions, he simultaneously urges the reader to collaborate with God regarding his or her personal addictions and issues, through the mechanism of a personal connection established through prayer. Topics covered include opioids, sex addiction, alcoholism, marijuana use, gambling, religious addiction, diet/eating disorders and food addiction.

The key to this spontaneous recovery, as argued by James Slobodzien, lies in the process of spiritual conversion. The nature of this process is discussed at length, with examples provided both from Biblical characters, as well as the modern day. The author challenges the current models of addiction, which describe it either as a brain disease or as a moral failure, and instead presents a spiritual model for conceptualizing bad habits and dependence on substances. Coping strategies, personal appraisal, motivation, identity formation, and the role of cultural values are all discussed in their relation to addiction formation. Ultimately, the author urges the reader to adopt the Mind of Christ and to re-orient his or her life to one that looks forward to the bodily resurrection we will receive at Christ’s return.

One element that struck me as I was reading was the heavy focus on Christian belief. I had expected the majority of the text to be focused on substance abuse and recovery, yet it seemed at many different points like I was reading a prepared sermon that urged the reader to re-evaluate their relationship with God, with addiction being only a secondary topic. Though I was not personally bothered by this, I can see how some readers would be blindsided by the contents of the book, as it appeared at times that addiction was simply an example of one of the issues that would be improved by God’s presence in our lives, but that any other personal struggle would have worked just as well to get the point across.

This is an extremely Christian book, and I would not expect that atheist readers or those who are passionate about other religions would connect strongly with its contents. On the other hand, Christian readers are likely to find many of the passages both uplifting and informative, and readers who do not subscribe to a particular religion, but who read with an open mind, may find this text enlightening. Most of the claims and research mentioned by the author was cited with direct links embedded in the text, allowing for further exploration of sub-topics that pique the reader’s interest.

Unfortunately, I found quite a number of grammatical and typographical errors, which were somewhat distracting from the message. Also, the author tended to overuse capitalization, typically emphasizing words by having the first letter capitalized (mid-sentence) or sometimes writing out whole phrases or sentences in all caps, as if he was shouting the message. Though this made it easy to spot the important concepts, it was a bit heavy-handed. Despite the challenges, this was a well-researched and unique book, with a passionate appeal to the reader. I rate this work 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to readers who appreciate a Christian perspective on mental health, addiction, and self-help topics.

Spontaneous Addiction Recovery
View: on Bookshelves
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not sure I agree with the author. Trusting God can cause spontaneous recovery from addiction, but it's not guaranteed. Good doesn't always choose to work that way. Nevertheless, it does seem like the author has some good points. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I'm a Christian but it's not entirely true that addiction can be improved a lot with the presence of God in one's life, if one doesn't make an effort. The book sounds interesting and I'll be happy to try it out when it has been rewritten. Thanks for the review 👍
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It is interesting to note how many authors of self-help books and memoirs attribute their success, victory, recovery, etc. to their faith in God. I don't think I would agree with the author on many of the things he is proposing. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to learn about his proposals. Thanks for your thoughtful review of this book.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

I think I would have to skip this. Many recovery programs encourage search for a higher power, but this feels too religious based for my taste.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”