Official Review: Let’s Mountain Bike!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
2019 Reading Goal: 72
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 572
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Shot by Harp by D.E. Hopper

Official Review: Let’s Mountain Bike!

Post by Rosemary Wright » 30 Sep 2019, 07:57

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Let’s Mountain Bike!" by Paul Molenberg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.” I extracted that intriguing quote by Albert Einstein from Let’s Mountain Bike!, which is written by Paul Molenberg. This book gives much insight into the sport of mountain biking. It provides comprehensive information and advice for all riders, whether complete beginners or experienced riders. It’s a guidebook for those who want to improve their cycling performance.

Molenberg begins the book by introducing readers to mountain biking and highlighting its benefits. In an engaging way, he discusses the different types of mountain bikes and their parts. Also, he tells about bike accessories, how to purchase a good bike at a good price, how to prepare yourself and the bike, how to ride, types of bike crashes, and how to avoid crashes. Again, he tells about the types of mountain bike races. He proceeds to show how to prepare for and partake in a race successfully. In summary, the book provides all one needs to know about the above sport, without giving unnecessary details.

This is a good book to read if you’re interested in mountain biking. Being easy to read, it’s very intriguing and informative. The author presents his points in a coherent and an instructional manner. Included are some beautiful, colorful pictures and diagrams, which give better understanding of what the author is telling about. In addition, there is an interesting and inspiring quote, related to the world of biking, at the beginning of each chapter. At the end of the book, Molenberg gives endnotes including URLs for additional information. However, this is a technical book, containing a lot of mechanical details. Hence, if you don’t enjoy books with such details, then this one is not for you.

Consisting of twenty chapters, Let’s Mountain Bike! discusses other useful topics like knowing your local trails, riding skills, mental focus and state of mind, obstacles, wearing protective equipment, endurance, strength training, flexibility training, hydration, supplements, how to eat healthily, bike care, trail etiquette and so on. Sincerely, I have nothing negative to tell about it because it was exceptionally written.

Altogether, the book is engaging and enlightening. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Regarding editing, it was professionally edited; I noticed just one grammar error. Moreover, I couldn’t rate it lower because it’s well written and the author presents his ideas in an intriguing way. I recommend it to mountain bikers or anyone who is interested in the sport of mountain biking.

Let’s Mountain Bike!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Helene_2008 » 01 Oct 2019, 08:03

I used to ride my bike a lot before I had children. Hopefully I can get back into it when they get older. I really like the quote you included in the opening of your review. I'll have to check this book out!

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: The Creative Advantages of Schizophrenia by Paul Kiritsis

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 01 Oct 2019, 09:39

I do ride a bike, though I've no ambitions to ride it across mountains. Steep slopes cause me enough problems. Might have a look at this one though, it sounds interesting.

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Post by Miller56 » 01 Oct 2019, 11:11

I think this book would be valuable just to have the information on trails. I take my bike to the bike shop for repairs so unless it is something simple, this book would contain too much information for me. I am not sure if this is a book I would want. I suspect all the trails are places I would not normally haul my bike. Thanks for the review.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 107
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Sugar & Spice- Catherine Little's story by H. M. Irwing

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 01 Oct 2019, 18:35

This is something that could be useful for me as I am prone to accidents on my bike; maybe I am lacking in coordination or maybe I just need to read this detailed guide. As always, thanks for the lovely review!

HeatherEi
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani

Post by HeatherEi » 01 Oct 2019, 19:07

I have been looking for other ways to stay active. This sounds like the book to read for that!

Ricky 7
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading: The Water Trade
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Ricky 7 » 02 Oct 2019, 04:29

I do love bikes because they are the least kind of machines One would have while Young or old. I use to own one but not anymore. Out of the review by Wright am willing to go through this book any of this fine days in oder to not only know more about bikes but also mountain biking

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”