Official Review: Unintended Consequences:a Mother’s...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Making Big Decisions Better by Tim Lewko

Official Review: Unintended Consequences:a Mother’s...

Post by Cecilia_L » 29 Sep 2019, 15:47

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unintended Consequences:a Mother’s Memoir" by Kathleen Regan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Unintended Consequences: A Mother’s Memoir, Kathleen Regan chronicles her journey from beginning a family to her uphill battle to find help for her son. With heartfelt honesty, she discusses the challenges of raising a blended family and details the realistic highs and lows she experiences when her son starts to spiral out of control. Regan poignantly conveys her disappointment, joy, frustration, fear, anger, sorrow, hope, and perseverance as she struggles to respond to her son's cry for help. She shares how she channels her experiences to improve a flawed system and ultimately, learns to find peace.

From the first few pages, Regan commands the reader's attention with her painful description of the moment she learns that her ex-husband has died and that her oldest son is being questioned for his murder. She recalls feeling numb with shock while notifying her other two grown children. "...I was trying to come to terms with the nightmare and my very worst fears coming true: my son having committed some terrible act which would likely result in a life-long prison term."

The strength of the book is Regan's ability to convey her heartbreaking range of emotions onto its pages. She shares the joy of adopting a sweet baby boy after multiple miscarriages. As readers follow Regan's journey, they witness her awareness of her young son struggling in school and withdrawing from the family. Despite her professional experience as a psychiatric nurse and consistent attempts to seek help for him, she agonizes over decisions regarding her son and the effects on her other two children. As a parent, I could relate to Regan's tendency to second-guess herself.

I admired Regan's positivity and willingness to help her son reunite with his birth family. She made travel arrangements, accompanied him, and respected his desire to stay in the birth family's home. Regan left no stone unturned in seeking healing for her son, but sadly, despite her best efforts, the exact consequences of her son's crime have yet to be determined. Even so, she concluded the book by focusing on the present rather than dwelling on the past.

Mark Tomas was named after his father, and Regan usually referred to her son by his first and middle name. However, there were several instances that she used only his first name in sentences preceding or following those referring to his father. It was sometimes confusing which Mark she meant, and I disliked the lack of clarity. Also, there were numerous grammatical errors, including multiple comma splices and the incorrect capitalization of words.

The editing issues necessitate the deduction of a star. Therefore, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. However, with additional polishing, this poignant memoir has the potential to earn the highest rating. The use of profanity is minimal; Regan provides an example of her son's abusive language and also recounts a story involving a young patient. I caution sensitive readers who dislike casual references to drug use, as Regan describes some of her experiences prior to having a family. I recommend the book to parents of adopted children, particularly those with blended families. It will also appeal to readers who are interested in improving the current mental health system and those with loved ones struggling with addiction.

Unintended Consequences:a Mother’s Memoir
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Helene_2008 » 02 Oct 2019, 13:52

Wow this sounds like a powerful story. I give a lot of credit to Kathleen. I can't imagine what she's going through and possibly having her son be responsible for murder??!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 02 Oct 2019, 14:00

Helene_2008 wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 13:52
Wow this sounds like a powerful story. I give a lot of credit to Kathleen. I can't imagine what she's going through and possibly having her son be responsible for murder??!
Thanks for your comment. Helene.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by kandscreeley » 02 Oct 2019, 19:58

I'm definitely curious about Regan's son. What did he do and why? Despite the editing errors, it sounds like something worth reading. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

HeatherEi
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani

Post by HeatherEi » 02 Oct 2019, 20:47

Wow, what a heartbreaking story. I worked at a child welfare agency that offered post adoption support. Sometimes adoptees dealt with behavior issues due to the abuse they received before CPS intervened. It is hard to hear those stories. I hope her son gets the therapy he needs.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 03 Oct 2019, 09:30

kandscreeley wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 19:58
I'm definitely curious about Regan's son. What did he do and why? Despite the editing errors, it sounds like something worth reading. Thanks!
Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 03 Oct 2019, 09:31

HeatherEi wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 20:47
Wow, what a heartbreaking story. I worked at a child welfare agency that offered post adoption support. Sometimes adoptees dealt with behavior issues due to the abuse they received before CPS intervened. It is hard to hear those stories. I hope her son gets the therapy he needs.
Thanks for sharing, Heather.

nana7613
Favorite Book: The Cat in the Hat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by nana7613 » 03 Oct 2019, 18:42

Thanks for the review. Regan sounds strong. Her story does really resonate with me but sure sounds like a page-turner.

sursangeet_2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sursangeet-2000.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by sursangeet_2000 » 04 Oct 2019, 07:03

Raising our own child is hard enough, but raising an adopted child requires a very strong will. And when that adopted kid ends up in trouble, fighting for him is reallu to be appreciated. I really respect this mom and congratulate her for having written down her experiences. It must have been a hard journey and get she maintained her positive spirit through it. Thank you for bringing this book to our attention with a wonderful review!!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 04 Oct 2019, 12:45

nanabanana7613 wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 18:42
Thanks for the review. Regan sounds strong. Her story does really resonate with me but sure sounds like a page-turner.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 04 Oct 2019, 12:46

sursangeet_2000 wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 07:03
Raising our own child is hard enough, but raising an adopted child requires a very strong will. And when that adopted kid ends up in trouble, fighting for him is reallu to be appreciated. I really respect this mom and congratulate her for having written down her experiences. It must have been a hard journey and get she maintained her positive spirit through it. Thank you for bringing this book to our attention with a wonderful review!!
You make some excellent points. Thanks for your kind words.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jim in Enemy Territory by Le Lan Anh

Post by kdstrack » 04 Oct 2019, 20:31

This is not the life she envisioned when she adopted that beautiful little boy. From "rescuing" him by adopting him to watching him face a sentence of life imprisonment really runs the gamut of emotions. This sounds overwhelming. Great review.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 06 Oct 2019, 13:40

kdstrack wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 20:31
This is not the life she envisioned when she adopted that beautiful little boy. From "rescuing" him by adopting him to watching him face a sentence of life imprisonment really runs the gamut of emotions. This sounds overwhelming. Great review.
I agree. Thanks for your kind comments.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”