Official Review: Before the Silver & Beyond the gold

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momiji1987
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 191
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momiji1987.html
Latest Review: The Morning Mind by Dr. Rob Carter III and Dr. Kirti Salwe Carter
fav_author_id: 64963

Official Review: Before the Silver & Beyond the gold

Post by Momiji1987 » 28 Sep 2019, 14:54

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Before the Silver & Beyond the gold" by Dan Salazar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before the Silver & Beyond the Gold by Dan Salazar is a memoir of his early life and over fifty years of marriage. Dan and Charlotte Salazar were born only a month apart in the very same year. As if ordained by God, these two met on St. Valentine’s Day. Although they shared their Hispanic heritage, faith, and culture, they grew up in two different worlds. Dan was the son of a single mother, and Charlotte had the typical American family. It was unlikely these two would ever come together in a happy marriage, but their shared spirituality inspired them to stay married and eventually operate a ministry for couples. Sadly, Dan lost his beloved to cancer a few years ago, but he fulfilled their dream to transcribe their love story.

I enjoy memoirs because they tell a first-hand account of what life was really like for people in the past, and their thoughts about topics that are seen as controversial today. Dan has lived through a lot of interesting periods in history. As a child, he grew up during the Second World War. He was in the Navy during the Korean War, and even traveled the world and parts of the United States that had segregation laws.

I enjoyed reading about Dan’s Navy exploits. His youth made them colorful, to say the least. He got in trouble here and there and even had to spend some time in a brig, but he remained patriotic his entire life. I also liked hearing about the people and locations he visited. It was neat to see how he was perceived as a Hispanic American by people in other territories and countries. It was also fun to get his thoughts and first impressions of different peoples and cultures.

Dan’s tone throughout the book is very warm and inviting. I also liked the magical way he described his relationship with Charlotte. Prior to her death, they were writing this book together, so he does include her account of some situations. They shared a very strong bond and an eight-year honeymoon period, which was nice to read about. I really enjoyed the story he shared about Charlotte’s first terrible tortillas, and what she did with the extra dough pieces when she made them again. She was foolish to think he’d never find them, but that’s why the story was so cute and funny.

Overall, this was a well-written memoir full of history and family charm. The presentation was very professional and I only found a handful of errors. If you want an unbiased account of the past that is not viewed from the lens of political correctness, I highly recommend this book. There was only one naughty word, and it was minor. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for the writing and family photos. Anyone who enjoys memoirs and history will appreciate this book. If your interests lean more towards fiction, you might want to skip this account.

Before the Silver & Beyond the gold
View: on Bookshelves

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by Rachel Lea » 19 Oct 2019, 15:23

This sounds like a really sweet and touching book. I love to read stories about how couples make their marriages work and have happy relationships. And it's great that the book is well-edited. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 103
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Other Gloria by L. A. Villafane

Post by kdstrack » 19 Oct 2019, 20:13

Their fifty years of marriage and having met on Valentine's Day make this a captivating story. I wonder what stories he has to tell about being in the Navy. Great review.

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 » 19 Oct 2019, 21:02

I enjoy memoirs as well and this sounds like a well written one... Thanks for this great review! Cheers
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

MsH2k
Favorite Book: The Oracle
Currently Reading: Journey into darkness
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure by Faye McFarland

Post by MsH2k » 20 Oct 2019, 00:00

An eight-year honeymoon period? Wow! It sounds like they would have been the same age as my parents. It would be interesting to compare his navy stories to my dad’s army ones. Thank you for a great review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One by Dom Brandt

Post by kandscreeley » 20 Oct 2019, 17:44

This sounds like an interesting look at the past. I love that it's not through a lens of political correctness, but it's simply one man telling it like he sees it. Thanks for the review!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton

Post by corinaelena » 20 Oct 2019, 17:59

Great review! I am glad to see a 4 star rating on this one. I also enjoy reading memoirs, and it looks like I might pick this one up!

MrunalT
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalt.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by MrunalT » 22 Oct 2019, 01:11

I do not enjoy memoirs much. This one looks like an emotional book, but not something I would pick to read. Your review is quite nice.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”