Official Review: Lusciously Nurtured

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Official Review: Lusciously Nurtured

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lusciously Nurtured" by Dawne Gowrie Zetterstrom.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lusciously Nurtured by Dawne Gowrie Zetterstrom is raw and emotional, but also creative and helpful. It is the kind of book that you will read multiple times, make notes, fold the ears of the pages and highlight the parts that have meaning to you. The author has graciously bared it all for the benefit of others who suffer with the debilitating illness that is Fibromyalgia.

The book starts off with a brief history of the author’s road to diagnosis and initial symptoms and treatments. While reading this I felt a kinship with the author. It was as if she was taking excerpts out of my own personal health diary. Much of what she wrote resonated with me. She writes from personal experience and genuinely put a lot of effort and research into this book

Not only is the book an interactive workbook, there are various links throughout the book to things like blogs from doctors, meditation techniques and recipes.

The images throughout the book highlight the calmness that should be achieved to help the healing process. I also found the poetry to be fitting and beautifully matched within each section. The four seasons and months of the year used to break up the different chapters were inspirational. It creates a beautiful flow of reading.

My favorite quote in the book is that of Winston Churchill: “If you are going through Hell, keep going.”

Although there is reference of a sexual nature, it is within the context of medical relevance and not graphic at all. There is also minimal use of profanity.

In my opinion, this book is suitable for adults and will be an enormously useful tool for anyone suffering with Fibromyalgia, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It could also be helpful to spouses or family members of patients with these afflictions, to better understand their illness. I don’t think this book is suitable for children, as it contains medical lingo, mature content and is specifically directed toward adults with a specific illness.

I love how much information was packed within these pages. Zetterstrom covers things like creating balance in your life, sleep patterns, exercise, stretching correctly, what foods to watch out for, depression, anxiety, meditation and alternative natural medicine. There is a solid focus on maintaining positivity, not just for self, but also directing it towards others.

Unfortunately there are many formatting, punctuation and grammar errors. The book will definitely need to undergo another round of editing. That being said, I was not distracted by these errors at all and felt fully immersed throughout the entire book. Due to the errors I cannot in good conscience score this book full marks, but I will happily award it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I would not rate it any less than this, because I found this book to be immensely helpful and will be using it is a future guide for my own personal health.

Lusciously Nurtured
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

Thanks for the great review! This sounds like something I would enjoy reading.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Great review! I love the quote you included. It is a shame about the errors though... I think I would still like to read this as your review has intrigued me. Thanks! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Oh I hope they decide to have this edited. I live with a chronic
Illness and think I would find this very helpful. I think I’ll give it a shot anyway! Thank you!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”