Official Review: Celebrate the Struggle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Bite the Ass Off a Bear by Garth Friesen

Official Review: Celebrate the Struggle

Post by Jgideon » 27 Sep 2019, 07:20

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Celebrate the Struggle" by Jennifer L. Whitfield.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many people have found themselves in need of professional help to shed off some weight and to maintain a healthy body. Jennifer L. Whitfield, a fitness coach who once had to struggle with her unhealthy eating habits, shares the tips that have worked for her and her clients through her book, Celebrate the Struggle. In the foreword, Whitfield noted that “I spare no dignity, pride, or unintentional offense in this real-life compilation of my most surprising discoveries as a personal trainer/nutritionist and fitness enthusiast.”

The book consists of twelve well-written chapters. In every chapter, the author gives a detailed account of one or more factors that have worked for her and her clients. In the last four chapters, she gave recipes for healthy meals. They include recipes for dinner, desserts, and snacks.

I loved the author’s positive attitude towards weight loss. When one gets a wake-up call to change his/her dietary habits, things can be a bit blurry and scary. Throughout the book, she made the wellness journey sound very achievable. Instead of being ashamed of his/her body, the author urges the reader to embrace the situation and to set realistic goals. She tells her audience “There’s nothing wrong with dreaming and planning big, but our goals have to make sense for our own bodies”.

My favorite part of the book was the chapter on “Every bite every sip”. The author takes the reader through the different dietary habits that hinder people from having a healthy body. I enjoyed learning about the “dysfunctional food relationships” that some people have. My favorite quote was: “With every bite and every sip, we’re either feeding disease or fighting it.” You will be amazed to know that a simple phone setting helped Whitfield and her family to eliminate some unhealthy foods they had fought hard to avoid.

The book is not without a downside. As a professional food scientist, I felt that some of the terms that the author used when describing the composition of different foods could be a bit cumbersome for the readers to comprehend, especially readers who do not have a solid background in food and nutrition. The heavy technical terms could make someone put the book down before getting to the other parts that are simple to grasp.

The author encourages her audience to use Hiit (High-intensity interval Training) as an effective way to do away with body fat. As I read the entire chapter dedicated to this particular technique, I hoped to see a step-by-step procedure on how to go about it. Sadly, the author tells the reader to “Google videos and see what interests you and suits your particular level of conditioning.” Sometimes, people buy books to stay away from Google. It would have been great for the author to provide what works for her and her clients (since this is what the book is about).

I give Celebrate the Struggle 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a lower rating because I loved the author’s positive approach to the wellness journey. Because of the two issues that did not meet my expectations, I felt that the book did not deserve a higher score. If you have embarked on a wellness journey, this is a book for you. Readers who enjoy reading about the fitness stories of other people will find it useful. This book may not appeal to people who have deep knowledge about fitness and nutrition. It was professionally edited.

Celebrate the Struggle
View: on Bookshelves

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by Michelle Fred » 28 Sep 2019, 05:15

I'm not really looking to shed weight, but I enjoy reading health and fitness books. That said, the Google part will bother me too; as a professional, I would expect her to give hints on the most effective HIIT for fat loss. Thanks for your detailed review.

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Helene_2008 » 28 Sep 2019, 06:12

I don't necessarily have weight to lose, I do have some unhealthy eating habits. I'd like to read this and see what worked for her. Habits are a hard thing to break.

MsH2k
Favorite Book: The Oracle
Currently Reading: Code Name Lily
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by MsH2k » 28 Sep 2019, 10:52

“With every bite and every sip, we’re either feeding disease or fighting it.” That is a powerful statement. I agree with your assessment that the author should have included more guidance around Hiit. Thank you for your thorough review.

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Meg98 » 28 Sep 2019, 11:36

These types of books aren't usually my thing so I think I will pass for now, but I'm glad you enjoyed most parts of it! It sounds like a beneficial book for many. Thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

KDJ
2019 Reading Goal: 160
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading: Killman creek
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by KDJ » 28 Sep 2019, 20:00

Thank you for your review. This book sounds like a good one for those finding it harder to lose weight. With an absence of HIIT examples, that does make it a little harder for those trying to follow the author's guidance. And as you mentioned, it would be great if the author had included those. Other than that, and the terminology learning curve, it sounds like a good self-help book. Thank you for your recommendation.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin

Danty101
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Danty101 » 29 Sep 2019, 02:24

:o i actually do have weight to lose ,thats why the book was great for me in everyway

Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 65

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 30 Sep 2019, 01:05

"Celebrate the Struggle" by Jennifer L.Whitfield has dealt with an important topic that is related with good health.It is rightly said that health is wealth and without good health one cannot be a useful and productive member of our society.Jennifer a fitness coach who had once to fight with his own unhealthy habits shares the successful tips she has used for her and now shares with her clients so that they could be a healthy one.The author has a positive attitude toward weight loss and says that once one gets a wake up call to change his or her dietary habits,things can be a bit blurry and scary.She also asks their clients to set realistic goals.The book is a great professional help who want to improve their dietary habits.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jim in Enemy Territory by Le Lan Anh

Post by kdstrack » 01 Oct 2019, 10:09

This book would appeal to many who are struggling with weight issues. I like how the author relates your weight to disease. That changes a person's perspective on the things they want to eat! I enjoyed your review. Thanks.

MrunalT
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by MrunalT » 08 Oct 2019, 07:07

There are books by Rujuta Diwekar which are excellent for explaining what weight loss should entail. This one doesn’t sound too interesting to me, especially if the author is asking the readers to good videos!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”