Official Review: Neo-Stalinism by Irfan Saeed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Class-A Threat by Dan Sugralinov

Official Review: Neo-Stalinism by Irfan Saeed

Post by Tomah » 26 Sep 2019, 11:50

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Neo-Stalinism" by Irfan Saeed.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Despite what its title might suggest, Irfan Saeed’s Neo-Stalinism is more preoccupied with religion than communism. The book decries the evils and ignorance of religion, especially Islam, and urges the world to disregard petty differences and unite for the common good. Neo-Stalinism is the author’s form of intellectual warfare against all kinds of oppression.

The author is from Pakistan, a country where blasphemy is a crime. He published his inflammatory book in England, finally able to express himself and speak truth to power. There are twenty chapters in the book, and they're divided into two parts. The first part gives an overview of Saeed’s philosophical perspective, while the second part focuses on critiques of Islam in particular.

To start with the positives, I admire the author’s courage for expressing his viewpoints in opposition to his country and family. He’s also a very well-read person, discussing thinkers like Socrates, Plato, Hobbes, Rousseau, and others. There are many interesting ideas in the book, but their presentation is lacking.

The writing is often confused and disorganized. Poor phrasing coupled with frequent grammatical errors makes for undecipherable passages such as “Consciousness and understanding have their causes in the facts, those which have their roots in their surroundings and are interconnected with each other, at the same time they are always widespread and multi-directional.”

There are many times when the book spends too long elaborating a single point, but there are also times when we skip from topic to topic without rhyme or reason. For example, chapter eleven should be about Islam, but the author suddenly discusses Hinduism at one point. These interruptions and digressions break the flow of the text.

While the book is generally thorough when addressing religion, often citing scripture to back its claims, the same can’t be said about its treatment of communism. The author only ever addresses casual arguments against the governments of Stalin, Mao, and others, failing to convince a reader who doesn’t already agree. It would’ve been better to have a book completely dedicated to religion and another to politics so that each topic could get the proper attention.

Though it has potential as a work of religious critique, Neo-Stalinism lacks the tools to effectively convey its ideas. In its current state, I can’t rate the book higher than 1 out of 4 stars. This is an exhausting read that confuses more than it enlightens.

The book features harsh language, profanities, and mature topics like rape, so I don’t recommend it to younger audiences or religious readers who might be offended. People questioning their faiths, especially if they’re Muslims, might find something of value in this book.

Neo-Stalinism
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Moses and Mohammad, Book 3 of 4 by Kalki Rameses

Post by mmm17 » 03 Oct 2019, 07:45

Wow! I understand your comment about this one being an exhausting read. It does seems challenging. Congrats on a great review!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Meg98 » 03 Oct 2019, 09:57

This sounds like it is a difficult read. I don't think I would enjoy this at all! Thanks for this great review. Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah » 03 Oct 2019, 10:13

Meg98 wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 09:57
This sounds like it is a difficult read. I don't think I would enjoy this at all! Thanks for this great review. Cheers:)
mmm17 wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 07:45
Wow! I understand your comment about this one being an exhausting read. It does seems challenging. Congrats on a great review!
It was difficult in more ways than one, that's for sure! Thanks for the comments!

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by AvidBibliophile » 03 Oct 2019, 13:35

Such an insightful review, appreciate your honesty and the summary given. While I fully agree with the thought that it would do the world good to disregard petty differences and unite for the common good, it's unfortunate this title sometimes presented ideas and beliefs in such a confusingly worded way. Nice job!

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Rachel Lea » 03 Oct 2019, 19:26

It sounds like this book needs to go through another round of editing, at the very least. Thank you for your honest review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by kandscreeley » 03 Oct 2019, 19:27

This isn't a subject I would read if it was exceptionally written. I absolutely won't read it in its current state. It sounds a bit misleading as well. Thanks for your review, but I'll pass.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah » 04 Oct 2019, 12:17

Rachel Lea wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 19:26
It sounds like this book needs to go through another round of editing, at the very least. Thank you for your honest review!
kandscreeley wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 19:27
This isn't a subject I would read if it was exceptionally written. I absolutely won't read it in its current state. It sounds a bit misleading as well. Thanks for your review, but I'll pass.
AvidBibliophile wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 13:35
Such an insightful review, appreciate your honesty and the summary given. While I fully agree with the thought that it would do the world good to disregard petty differences and unite for the common good, it's unfortunate this title sometimes presented ideas and beliefs in such a confusingly worded way. Nice job!
Thanks for the comments! The book's subject matter and approach might not suit everyone, but in its current state, I certainly can't recommend it to anyone.

Katie Canedy
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading: The Comeback Coach
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Katie Canedy » 04 Oct 2019, 23:45

Neo-Stalinism sounds more biased than anything else. Sure, having an opinion is great, but the way about discussing it has to be greatly considered.

I hope that the author does some revising for this book, so more readers will be enlightened instead of exhausted. Thanks for your honest review!
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah » 05 Oct 2019, 12:32

byebye98 wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 23:45
Neo-Stalinism sounds more biased than anything else. Sure, having an opinion is great, but the way about discussing it has to be greatly considered.

I hope that the author does some revising for this book, so more readers will be enlightened instead of exhausted. Thanks for your honest review!
Thanks for the comment! Indeed, the book needs some serious revising.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jim in Enemy Territory by Le Lan Anh

Post by kdstrack » 05 Oct 2019, 20:56

Thanks for your insights on this book. I'm sorry it was such a frustrating read!

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah » 06 Oct 2019, 11:48

kdstrack wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 20:56
Thanks for your insights on this book. I'm sorry it was such a frustrating read!
Thanks for the comment! Yes, it definitely wasn't an easy read.

nana7613
Favorite Book: The Cat in the Hat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by nana7613 » 07 Oct 2019, 09:54

Thanks for your review. It seems there are too many discrepancies in this book. I commend you on reading it all.

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah » 08 Oct 2019, 13:57

nana7613 wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 09:54
Thanks for your review. It seems there are too many discrepancies in this book. I commend you on reading it all.
Thanks for the comment! I have to admit I did consider quitting, but my determination won out.

Gaby+LysMom2KB
Currently Reading: Sink Reflections
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaby-lysmom2kb.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Gaby+LysMom2KB » 10 Oct 2019, 19:49

Wow, Tomah...you definitely had perseverance and determination to read such a book and review it! Congrats to you! lol In its current state, and the way you reviewed it with honesty, I would not read it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”