Official Review: How Blacks can unite as one

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Bite the Ass Off a Bear by Garth Friesen

Official Review: How Blacks can unite as one

Post by Jgideon » 25 Sep 2019, 05:48

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How Blacks can unite as one" by Daniel L Jones.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How Blacks Can Unite as One by Daniel L. Jones is a non-fiction short read (26 pages). The author believes that he has all it takes to awaken the black community and equip it with the right tools required to be prosperous. The history of the black people and the recent attacks on black communities fueled his quest for their liberation.

The book consists of three sections. In the first section, Mr. Jones gives a brief history of blacks. He also informs the reader about his motto: Each one, teach one. In the second section, he gives some of the tenets that he believes are necessary to break the disunity among blacks. The author used the last section to teach about black consciousness.

I loved that the author was bold and clear about his mission. His brevity has enabled him to give the state of the black community and call things the way they are. I felt that such boldness is commendable given the kind of message that he believes he has to deliver to the black community.

I also liked his definition of blacks. He “defined blacks as “those who are by law or tradition politically, economically, and socially discriminated against as a group.” This definition might sound (or actually sounds) one-sided, but it’s the definition I have coined.” His clear definition denotes the target audience for the book. However, any other reader who does not belong to the black community (as defined by the author) might want to read this book to be informed about the thoughts of the author and many blacks.

There are things that I disliked about the book. Although the author mentioned many things, he did not take the time to build them up for the reader to understand his passion for black liberation. That made it look a bit rushed and sketchy. For instance, he gives a very brief description of the Civil Rights Movement, Black Wall Street, and The Reconstruction Era. It would have been better to give a detailed account of these eras and how they affected the black community, and the lessons that blacks should learn from them.

The book was not professionally edited. I have a reason to believe that someone gave Mr. Jones the outline of writing a book and he went on to fill the ‘gaps’. For instance, the acknowledgment section reads, “The names of any people you might want to acknowledge in helping you get this book written. They may be your friends, family members, or associates who supported you in the project. You could also mention teachers and people who have inspired you whom you might not know personally.” It also shows that the author did not take the time to read the book after writing it.

Overall, I give How Blacks Can Unite as One by Daniel L. Jones 2 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a higher score because of the things that I disliked about it. It presents the author’s passion for the enlightenment of his community, and I believe that some readers can learn something by reading it. Thus, I did not give it a lower score. Blacks, especially the youth, will find this book useful. The book has no profanity.

How Blacks can unite as one
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Magnify3 » 29 Sep 2019, 09:25

It sounds like an interesting read. I was hoping that it would include every other person of colour that was living outside of the same communities. I guess I would have to read the book to understand what the author is trying to say. Thanks for the review!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Meg98 » 29 Sep 2019, 11:01

It sounds like a unique book, and I appreciate the topics the author talks about. Perhaps another round of editing and a bit more detail will correct the flaws you found. Great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

MsH2k
Favorite Book: The Oracle
Currently Reading: Code Name Lily
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by MsH2k » 29 Sep 2019, 12:27

It’s unfortunate that the author did not take the time to edit this book on a topic he is obviously passionate about. Thank you for your review - good catch on the acknowledgement section.

Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 65

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 30 Sep 2019, 01:58

"How Black can Unite as One' by Daniel L.Jones is non-fiction short read of 26 pages.The author throws lights on the excesses done with the Black Community from time to time.He defines blacks as "those who are by law or tradition politically economically and socially discriminated against a group."
He suggests very viable measures to promote the black from marginalization by providing them education as evident from his motto: each one, teach one.
This is beyond the shadow of doubt that even in America less than 200 years ago slavery was dominant and that was Frederick Douglass who himself was born as slave and he himself was the one who abolished slavery through his constant legal efforts.Uniting the black community from the clutches of unfair treatment, inequality and injustice is a great service for the global community as a whole

Nich37
Currently Reading: Hearts Set Free
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nich37.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Post by Nich37 » 30 Sep 2019, 05:24

I am curious to why the author define blackness as he did and to see how his idea of black liberation compare to others I have read about. Thanks for the review. I am always on the lookout for different perspectives of black liberation. I will be putting this on my reading list.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by kandscreeley » 30 Sep 2019, 19:43

This sounds like it has potential to be a great book. Perhaps it just needs more developing. I hope the author is able to rework this in order to make it better. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Bhaskins » 01 Oct 2019, 13:10

This sounds like a must read for the ideas. Too bad it wasn't finished.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

MrunalT
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by MrunalT » 08 Oct 2019, 07:12

A topic like racial discrimination needs to be handled with all the sensitivity it deserves. It’s commendable that the author is bold and affirmative about his stand. Though I am wondering how much could he have been able to sum up in just 26 pages.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”