Review by Karmela Blanche -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Karmela Blanche
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karmela-blanche.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Karmela Blanche -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Karmela Blanche »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Helpless, worthless and ashamed”. We’ve all hit that status in our lives but as author Ace Bowers quotes it “We are our own person…we have the power to change it”. The Mindset, is the author’s memoir which takes you to a journey back to how his childhood struggles turned him to an overcomer: as a son to alcoholic-abusive parents who mishandled finances and a younger brother to a jail-to-prison patron. While aware of being the poorest among his peers, his most-feared monsters will be created inside his own home; from the vicious cycle of emotional outbursts his parents would create every night and the harsh reality that he had to face early as a young boy. Despite the adversities, his “Angels” made life easier at some point but his monsters will continue to haunt him up until he figured his way out into adulthood. He would soon find himself in a situation where life frankly asks him if he would stay on the same path as his family’s or learn from it.

The book is a short-read but surprisingly inspiring in such the author’s descriptions are straight-forward and relatable. You would not be spared by feeling the same burden and frustrations as he did while you cruise through each chapter, and feeling jumpy and proud whenever he unlocks a milestone. I have originally thought the chronological order will confuse me as the author kept bouncing back and forth to present times and the past but I realized that it played a great picture in describing the author’s own reflection as he encounters new obstacles. This is the author’s first creation but the memoir was skillfully written that it will also make you want to reflect on how your past could have affected your present and makes you also want to evaluate what you could and would have done to better it.

The story revolves around the challenges the author had to face and how he uniquely responded to each one of them in different stages of his life. The transition of him making slack decisions to gradually improving himself due to will-power is the inspirational power of this memoir. Although the author is clear in describing how he overcame each challenge and how it led him to his personal growth, I would not suggest it to readers seeking a step-by-step enumeration of the formulas to success particularly in any jobs mentioned in the book. The book, however is highly recommended for those who are going through difficult times and are needing a boost of hope.

There are very few minor errors in the book that can easily be corrected but other than that, I did not find any areas that are disappointing and so I am giving it a 4 out of 4 stars. I loved that the book is beautifully and skillfully reflecting the author’s humble approach of sharing his motivation by writing it with simplicity; enough for readers from all walks of life to relate and be inspired. Although the book may attract readers that are of the same age-range as the author’s in the memoir (teens to middle-adulthood), this may still spark interest to those who are experiencing the same emotional trauma and circumstance as the book implies hope and faith by making a stern decision to first change our mindsets and outlook on how we see even the worst situation. “Nothing is ever a waste of time if you learn something from it”. In addition, the book does not contain any offensive language or colorful depictions of any violence. The intent of the memoir is mainly to inspire readers that everyone has the power to change his/her perception of whatever life throws and that it can be used to his/her own advantage. By the end of this book, readers will gain a new perspective in understanding people and different circumstances.

I found myself in tears with some quotations in each chapter and it amazes me that this 92-page memoir encapsulated the author’s sincere hope to inspire more people. It is a book that will walk you through the seemingly-impossible moments with faith. “I made my past work for me, not against me” is one of my favorites. Simple yet awakening. It will enlighten readers that a big change requires more than believing but acknowledging each one's uniqueness and the presence of “the man upstairs” in every person and any given situation.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”