Official Review: My White Fiance: Deep Rooted Racism

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: My White Fiance: Deep Rooted Racism

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My White Fiance: Deep Rooted Racism" by Yaffa Sauda Lawson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Relationships are hard. It's hard enough to find someone that you can get along with for any amount of time, let alone someone you love and can stand beside for the rest of your life. Sadly, those things get even more challenging when racial differences are brought into the mix. Regardless of how the two people in the relationship feel about race, family members, friends, or even random strangers may have vocal opinions about it.

My White Fiance: Deep Rooted Racism by Yaffa Sauda Lawson explores this topic through Yaffa's first serious relationship. In 1993, at 17 years old, Yaffa put an ad in the newspaper to find a relationship. Following a string of disgusting replies, she finds one that she deems worthy of a chance. Karl was 24 at the time so he didn't want to say they were "dating", but the two went out numerous times and eventually things became serious. But the more people found out about the relationship, the more difficult it became to hold their relationship together, and not for the reasons I originally guessed.

First of all, I was really shocked by how short the book was. Amazon says the book is 59 pages long, but it only took up 57 screens on my PC Kindle app. Typically that'd be more like 40-45 pages at most. Secondly, there were a LOT of errors within those pages. By the 15th page, I'd already counted 13 errors, and I saw countless more throughout the rest of the book as well.

Then there's the subject matter itself. I've been blessed to only have a handful of relationships in my life. I met all three women that I had relationships with online, and while the second led to a failed marriage, the third has led to a happy, healthy relationship that's still going strong 11 years later. Perhaps because I've never spent time in the dating pool, I can't relate at all to the things that Yaffa and Karl went through. They argued over the craziest things! Karl was so mad that Yaffa used lots of pepper that he gave her the silent treatment for 5 minutes. Yaffa was mad at one point that he hadn't told his father about her even though they were still "just friends" at that point and she was only 17. Worst of all, they got into a heated argument when Yaffa's mom joked that he looked like the leader of the KKK and part of his reply included "Being white is great!" Maybe I'm just far more picky about the people I spend time with, but I would've written someone off if one or two of these things happened, let alone all three. Heck, Karl still had a girlfriend when they got together, and when Karl asked Yaffa to get a job, she tried to become a stripper!

I did appreciate the moments where the book actually spoke about race. That was why I picked this book up in the first place, after all. Sadly, I felt that the book was really lacking in depth when these topics came up. One of the biggest things that caused a rift between them was when Yaffa thought she was pregnant and they were wondering what color the child would be. Karl and his friend had agreed that if the child looked white, it should be raised white, and Yaffa disagreed. This is a huge, heated topic in the world today, so I was hoping for some in-depth thoughts from Yaffa's point of view. Why should a child who looks white be "treated black", and what does it mean to "treat a child black" in the first place? If their child looked black, should it be "treated white"? What's the difference between the two as far as parenting is concerned? Yaffa wrote: "My point being is that not all black people are broke, busted, and disgusted; and that is the mind-set they seem to have about the entire black race." I wanted to read a whole chapter about this! Instead, there's maybe a page or two at most throughout the whole book that discusses serious racial issues aside from a handful of family members and friends being unhappy with their relationship. In the end, I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that most of the problems they faced weren't related to race at all.

Overall, My White Fiance: Deep Rooted Racism isn't bad, but it needs a lot of polish. It was plain to see that this book wasn't edited well, let alone professionally. It was remarkable that Yaffa managed to remember what kinds of food they ate where and when, yet didn't go very deep about the hard-hitting topics that I expected to find. She treads the water and mentions the racial issues they faced, but I really wanted to read a lot more about her opinions and thoughts on the topics. I'll give the book 2 out of 4 stars and recommend it only to those who enjoy brief, light, autobiographical books about relationships that deal with differences in race, status (Karl had graduated college and had a rich doctor for a father), and age.

My White Fiance: Deep Rooted Racism
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

I really enjoyed reading this review. It's a shame the book didn't go more into the issue of race and the problems they faced because of that, especially since it is in the title.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

Such a shame that the book has too many errors and the author did not go to the hard-hitting topics. I will pass on this one. I enjoyed your review!
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This book brings up some very interesting discussions about race and culture, but like you, I wish the author could have fleshed these discussions out more. Thank you for your thoughtful review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Keshiewis88
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Keshiewis88 »

I wish the book went I to more detail about race and about relationship. But this was a great review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I still can’t get over the fact that she’s 17! Racial issues in a relationship are complicated. Unfortunately, it seems like this book didn’t shed much light on them. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I would have loved to learn more about the hard hitting issues too. In the end they just seem to be like every other couple. I hope that there's a book out there with more meat. Thanks for the review, I enjoyed it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”