Review by slbuchanan -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
slbuchanan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slbuchanan.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by slbuchanan -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by slbuchanan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands is an inspiring, nonfiction novel written by Jorge P. Newbery. The author recounts his life's journey, from delivering newspapers to running his own punk record label to racing bicycles to becoming a wealthy businessman. Newbery gets vulnerable, sharing the obstacles he faced and how he overcame these 'burn zones' life threw at him.

My favorite part of this book was Newbery's passion, authenticity, and optimism throughout the book. He threw himself into each new business endeavor with his whole heart plus an admiral work ethic. He did a great job highlighting his strengths as well as his weaknesses. I did find the parts discussing the financial aspects of his company a bit difficult to follow. I enjoyed learning about mortgages, creditors, and managing debt but felt like some parts were a little over my head.

I give Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery 3 out of 4 stars. Rating an autobiography is hard because who I am I to rate someone else's personal perspective on their own life? I felt as though a couple of moments dragged out a little longer than necessary while others felt rushed.

This book is perfect for anyone in need of some motivation in their own life. It's an easy read and can be inspiring for athletes, business professionals, punk enthusiasts, and more. His story focuses mostly on the business side of life rather than family but does have personal moments sprinkled into his professional journey. This book maybe isn't the best book for a high school student, just because he dropped out of high school. It definitely works for some, but might not necessarily be something you want your high school student to aspire to.

I only saw two typos in the whole book, which I think is pretty good. I did not read one profane word so this book would be good for people who prefer books without profanity in them. It's rare these days to find an adult book without profanity or sex and so this is one of the lucky few if you're into that sort of thing.

Overall, this book was fascinating to read, minus a couple of tangents. I was impressed with how it flowed and share an air of authenticity so the reader has the chance to learn from Mr. Newbery's mistakes. He promotes strong values like hard work, persistence, passion, optimism, and more.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”