Review by rubinelli -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rubinelli
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by rubinelli -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli » 19 Sep 2019, 13:09

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones, by Jorge P. Newbery, is the story of a younger Jorge Newbery and his struggles with owning his own record-producing business and as a real estate investor.

I really enjoyed reading this book! The first chapter had me enraptured by the tenacity and drive that Newbery showed even as a young boy. The story starts with Jorge getting his first job at age 7. He delivered newspapers on his bicycle. Even at a young age, Jorge is wickedly smart and aggressively ambitious. As he grows, we see his interests change from becoming a successful entrepreneur to a professional cyclist, to a real estate investor. After a natural disaster devastates the buildings he invested in, Newbery finds himself drowning in his debts. Burn Zones tells a story about a man crawling out from a pit of despair and overcoming his greatest challenges in life.

Newbery’s writing style is very easy to read and the story is incredibly compelling. I was hooked from the first chapter. The book discusses heavy themes like racism, personal growth, and coping with failure. Throughout the book, Newbery learns from the people surrounding and is heavily influenced by his mother and father who support him through all of his trials and tribulations. I especially enjoyed the pictures included in the book. I thought that they really pulled the story together and tied the book with the real world. They forged a stronger connection between the reader and the author and subject of the book. There was nothing included in the book that I did not enjoy. I have no complaints.

This book would appeal to younger and older readers alike. Newbery’s story may encourage young readers to find their passion in life and follow their dreams. To older readers, this story is made even more terrifying, but simultaneously awe-inspiring, due to the prevalent fear of debt or financial vulnerability. I believe that all readers will find the author's perseverance and tenacity to be both hopeful and inspiring. Newbery’s story encourages readers to follow their dreams and make their dreams into careers.

This book appears to be professionally edited and virtually devoid of any grammar or spelling errors!

The author makes use of racial slurs in order to highlight the struggles he faced coming from a biracial family, as well as comment on the injustices he witnessed against those of racial minorities.

I happily rate Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery 4 out of 4 stars.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”