Official Review: World Railway Accidents 1811-1880

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: World Railway Accidents 1811-1880

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "World Railway Accidents 1811-1880" by Francis Voisey.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’m usually impressed by people who can unwaveringly focus on precise, circumscribed, and peculiar subjects. I find that they have the potential to surprise us with fresh perspectives. So, as you can imagine, I was intrigued when I came across World Railway Accidents 1811-1880, written by Francis Voisey, and I decided to check it out.

Above all else, this book is about as detailed as they come. The author methodically and meticulously categorizes and describes train accidents that happened during those seventy years of the nineteenth century. The categories involve derailments, collisions, fires, explosions, sabotages, and vandalism, among others. And the narratives are thorough! Voisey provides a comprehensive list of all the major train accidents that took place between 1811 and 1880 in various parts of the world.

The aspects I most liked about this book were its scientific precision and historical outlook. I was positively impressed by the extensive research. There are more than a hundred pages with references to all the information sources used by the author. He provides accurate locations, timetables, train lengths and speeds, distances, and even boiler pressure figures. There are also quotes from local newspapers at the time the accidents happened. People and circumstances vary greatly: from French soldiers coming back from the Franco-Prussian war to Cheyenne warriors attacking and scalping men on a freight train in Nebraska.

On the other hand, I disliked the gory details. I felt that they were not necessary. In an accident in Philadelphia, for instance, Mr. Baxter’s head got so badly smashed that it came off when authorities removed his hat. Also, Mrs. Till got found nearly dead and agonizing because a “large iron bolt had passed entirely through her body.”

Additionally, the author’s neutral, detached tone was an aspect that bothered me a bit. I felt as if I were reading a bunch of bureaucratic accident reports written by insipid investigators. I understand this is a non-fiction title. But still, I wish the author had made at least a few personal remarks about the incidents. That would have given some color and flow to this otherwise acetic and arid work.

In closing, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It needs another round of editing, for there are numerous grammatical mishaps and also some typographical errors. For the poor editing, the unnecessarily gory details, and the overly dry tone, I am taking two stars away from the rating. I recommend it to readers who can endure such a detailed and specific tome.

World Railway Accidents 1811-1880
View: on Bookshelves
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

"World Railway Accidents 1811-1180 by Francis Voisey. The book provides a very detailed information about railway accidents that happened in the stipulated periods.The author has the capability to present the information in such an interesting ways that attracts the readers' attention towards railway accidents.The categories of railway accidents involve derailments,collisions, fires,explosions, sabotage and vandalism among others. Voisey provides a comprehensive lists of all the major accidents that took place between 1811 and 1880 in various parts of the world.The author has provided with scientific precision and did extensive research on it.It shows the dates of accidents, its locations, timetables, train lengths and speed as well as distance.This is an informative book for all who are interested in history
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This is a unique book and the premise sounds intriguing, but it seems like it missed the mark on a few important elements. I will pass on this one for now, but thank you for this excellent review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I guess this is meant to be an encyclopedia of train accidents or something. Bit weird that the author writes about such morbid details. I'll pass on this, since I'm not one of the incredibly niche group of people interested in railway accidents from 1811-1880.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

The basic premise for this book is really interesting but it sounds like it needs a lot of editing. Thanks for your honest review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has chosen a unique theme for this book. Your comments indicate that the research has been thorough and extensive. Now that many cities seem to be moving to high-speed rail, this book might be an interesting study in the perils of train travel. I enjoyed your insights about this book.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I find it interesting how specific the book is. I wonder how the author came up with such a specific idea. Based on your review, I probably wouldn't be interested in reading the entire book, especially since you said it was unnecessarily gory.
sunmuth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunmuth.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by sunmuth »

To be entirely honest, I think I would actually be interested in this book! I may not choose to read the whole thing cover to cover, but I think I'd be intrigued by the specifics of how accidents occurred.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

On the one hand, I've a morbid fascination with history like this, particularly the gory details. Also, trains! On the other hand, I'm not sure I could handle the dry recitation of details and numbers. It's a toss up on this one for me.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
mcdonaldchola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonaldchola.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mcdonaldchola »

I think I am interested in reading this book. However, I don't think I can read it continuously from the first page to the last. Instead, I can just sample potions until I finish reading the whole book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”