Review by SophieS1994 -- The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SophieS1994
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophies1994.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by SophieS1994 -- The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by SophieS1994 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The MECE Muse" by Christie Lindor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor is a tell-all career guide revealing the top secrets on how to become a world-class business consultant. The author uses her very own 15+ years of experience and knowledge to craft together this extremely insightful book. Now, I’m going to be completely honest. I am a fiction book junkie, so non-fiction doesn’t really appeal to me in the world of reading. Also, I’m not exactly a high-flying executive career woman, with my own office and selection of tailor-made suits. So, the idea of reading this book was a little bit daunting and intimidating at first; but I love to step out of my comfort zone. Luckily, I was in for a pleasant surprise. Thanks to Christie Lindor’s inspiring turn of phrase and her light touches of humour, this book was a joy to read. And an education too!

"Just like coal under pressure creates diamonds, irritated oysters create pearls, and the earth's crust creates gems and crystals, my experience as a consultant has been a cumulative journey".

First and foremost, this book is so wonderfully written and perfectly constructed. It's not littered with unfamiliar jargon, which is great if you are completely new to consultancy. Christie Lindor's sage advice is neatly divided into three sections, topped off with a concluding MECE Muse Menfiesto summary, so it's easily digestible for readers. I believe the structure of a book is just as important as the content of the book. To elaborate further, a messy layout can leave readers confused and unable to follow the narrative. Presentation-wise, this book is flawless! I need to take this time to give Christie Lindor a bow of respect. She didn't write this book as a boastful platform to showcase her accomplishments and successes. She wrote this book as realistic guide for up and coming consultants. By mentioning some of her own shortcomings, it makes the author appear more human, proving that it's okay to get it wrong sometimes. Furthermore, what also makes this book a realistic read, is that it sheds light on the fact that even though consultancy can be a rewarding career, it also comes with its fair share of dog-eat-dog rough patches. For example, rudeness amongst colleagues, ungrateful clients, incivility and hierarchy issues. On the same subject, I particularly loved the chapter about etiquette in the workplace, as it gives the reader a gentle a reminder on how to conduct yourself around your colleagues, no matter what your job role is; which brings me to my next point. If you are put off by the fact this book is based on consultancy job roles, don't be alarmed. Even though this book is a consultancy guide, the rules and techniques can be transferred to any job sector. For instance, in the first section, the author describes the difference between a POS consultant and a great consultant. The show-stopping great consultants inspire, motivate others and always deliver exceptional results. POS consultants are unprepared, unambitious and unforgettable. The same principles can be applied to any other profession, whether it's hospitality, marketing or retail; also in day to day life. Do you want to shine or do you want to remain in the dark? Additionally, I love the way the author includes advice from other consultant leaders and partners in her Fireside Chats. And in Appendix A, she provides the reader with a list of book recommendations and helpful websites she describes as 'knowledge gems'. To me, this truly speaks to her character and displays what altruistic person she really is. By involving the viewpoint of her colleagues and peers, it shows me she values the opinion of not just herself, but of others too.

After wracking my brains for any negatives about this book, the only minuscule thing I've managed to conjure up is, I wish I could've known just a bit more about the author herself. Granted, there is a mini-biography towards the end of the book and I completely understand it's meant to be a guide, but I'm just so fascinated about Christie Lindor's determination and prowess, I would've appreciated just a little bit more background on the past experiences that shaped this successful woman today. Besides this, it is plainly obvious this book has been edited by a professional hand. There is not a single typo, error or sentence out of place. The text is poised, articulate and reads very well.

In terms of identifying the demographic audience, I feel The MECE Muse appeals to all races, social classes and ethnic groups wanting to take their first steps towards consultancy. This book is perfect for both new recruits and a refresher course for more experienced consultants. On top of that, as I stated in the beginning, this book is an education. So, if you haven't got the foggiest idea about consultancy or if you are thinking of a career change, then this book is ideal for you too.

In conclusion, The MECE Muse without question deserves a glittering 4 out of 4 stars rating. This book delivers a wealth of authentic expertise. Christie Lindor provides readers with a masterclass and a masterpiece wrapped in one. I have nothing but total admiration.

The MECE Muse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”