Review by SavannahJones -- I Will Make of Thee a Great N...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SavannahJones
Currently Reading: I will make of thee a great nation
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannahjones.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by SavannahJones -- I Will Make of Thee a Great N...

Post by SavannahJones »

[Following is a volunteer review of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his book I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation, author Val D. Greenwood helps make some of the the iconic and some of the lesser-known stories of the Bible more understandable for readers everywhere. Greenwood continues the work began by John Wycliffe when he translated the Bible into English. Now, by the efforts of Greenwood, the Bible is understandable to the everyday members of modern society. While still covering the same stories told to religious people-and even some not-as children, it gives a new, more modern look at the ancient stories and lessons taught and preached about for generations.

The book begins at the beginning, with the Fall of Man and Adam and Eve. It continues with the story of Abraham, Joseph, and progresses to Daniel, David, Saul, Solomon, and all the other well-known and loved Bible characters and stories. Additionally, other information not commonly known to readers studying the Bible is provided, such as information on the Abrahamic covenant, and the like.

In I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation, Greenwood tells Bible stories in a more easily understandable format. As a student of the scriptures myself, I enjoyed the new and clearer point of view and language for some of my favorite scripture stories. Additionally, some of the stories that were once difficult to understand are clearer with the doing away with the aptly termed "Old Testament language." I enjoyed reading the book as stories and looking for principles to apply to my own life, but I found some aspects that I did not agree with. However, as the scriptures are interpreted differently by everyone, I did not let that stop my enjoyment of the book, and would advise others reading the book to not let it affect their experience with Greenwood's book.

I did not find any typos in I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation. Overall, the text's language was clear, understandable, and concise. The editing was well done. I would rate I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation 4 out of 4 stars. It was an educational and entertaining book, with an excellent portrayal of spiritual and religious messages.

I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation is an enjoyable read for those who already study, or wish to study, the Bible. It would be an especially good reading choice for those who are intimidated by the confusing language of the Old Testament. This would also be a good read to share with children, as the book is written like stories and does have some pictures scattered throughout (all are child appropriate). Overall, I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation was an excellent book that I will definitely read again, and I would suggest others do the same!

I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
blevi3
Currently Reading: How to Define Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blevi3.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by blevi3 »

Thanks for your review. I found your comments on the ease of reading and how his interpretations may make the Old Testament easier to understand. It's in my bookshelves now and I look forward to giving it a try.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”