Review by LyorBoone -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Review by LyorBoone -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by LyorBoone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands is a tale of how one should live their life. It’s the story of a man who works hard to achieve his goals. Nothing is handed to him. He doesn’t jump on social bandwagons like the notion that college is the only way to succeed in life. Instead, he researches topics that interest him and makes his own informed decisions on how to progress forward. Jorge P. Newbery is also a man with a lot of heart. He may talk a lot about saving money and gaining a profit, but he isn’t someone who dresses in a fancy suit for appearances while determining your value based on how much money you have to bring to the table. No, his story is that of an underdog that never loses sight of where he came from.

I feel this book is written for everyone. Parts of it strike me as a warning to the young not to ignore every little lesson that experienced adults have to offer. Jorge was constantly searching for such advice as he sought to understand the way the world works, and it served him well. Of course, the main message of the book is for people, especially older people, that may be dealing with a situation that seems impossible to come out on top while the stakes are at their highest. These situations are burn zones and they define how far you can climb up the ladder of life. One who is too afraid to fall from a great height won’t be able to get as far up as Jorge. The one issue that would make this book an unsuitable read for children are about five occurrences of profanity. These occurrences appear like a relative that occasionally lets out a few inappropriate words over the holidays, despite children being present.

I enjoyed most of the pacing in this book. Jorge’s constant goal in his autobiography is to keep moving up in life. He tells us the importance and the significance of what he’s doing. And there are fun details like the desire to move up from “Jorgie” to the more distinguished “Jorge” in his father’s eyes. The story runs pretty quickly. It made me feel as if I was Jorge and my whole life was flashing before my eyes, but Jorge was still good at providing enough details that I never felt anything significant was skipped over. Then there were occasionally small moments of dialogue where we got to see more vivid details for special moments.

However, there were also elements of this work that were less than perfect. I feel that his use of italicized thoughts inside dialogue quotes doesn’t work well, even if Jorge was imagining the another person saying these words in such a moment. It is especially odd to see dialogue and then another set of quotes after the initial dialogue to show imagined speech. In my experience, thoughts are best presented as italicized text without the quotation marks. Towards the end, I also found that the book started to get more technical as Jorge got into more complex businesses. Occasionally, those details made the story drag a little.

Overall, Jorge P. Newbery’s story is one where it’s easy to connect with the character. From the first moment I picked it up, I was glued to its pages. It looks exceptionally well edited. I didn’t catch any grammatical errors in it. However, one thing tipped the balance as I hone in to give a final rating. There was a scene where Jorge writes the hardest letter of his life, and it recaps events that I thought we had moved passed already, to a point where there were a few pages where I felt like I was rereading a chapter that I had already passed. I understand Jorge was reflecting on the past here, but I didn’t feel it was treading enough new ground in this one place to justify the summary of past events. Thus, I hereby award this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?

djr6090
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Currently Reading: Wherever the Road Leads
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: Through the Eyes of a Black Butterfly by Karen L. Williams-Tisdel

Post by djr6090 »

Burn Zones was one of the books I reviewed too. Like you, I found Jorge to be an admirable personality. I missed the bit about him trying to impress his father, though. But you are right about that. You did a very insightful review.

Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

Very informative review! I especially loved the line about the profane relative at holidays!

I definitely was expecting a book about exercise, based on the title and cover. Your review definitely cleared that up!

Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: Priceless, From Adversity to Advantage by Dion E. Price Sr.

Post by Nkoo »

I love the theme of the book. The main character appears to be an exemplary one too. The title of the book also seems misleading though. Thanks for the great review.

spencermack
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 112
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Faith by Jean Lagacé
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I hate when I feel I am re-reading a chapter over and over. Your review was awesome, well done!
Spencer Mack

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”