Official Review: Dylan & Me by Louie Kemp

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: Dylan & Me by Louie Kemp

Official Review: Dylan & Me by Louie Kemp

Post by prospero360 » 08 Sep 2019, 04:24

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dylan & Me" by Louie Kemp.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dylan & Me: 50 Years of Adventures, by Louie Kemp, is a biography that follows the story of Louie Kemp and Bobby Zimmerman, popularly known as Bob Dylan, from when they met each other at eleven years of age at Herzl Camp in northern Wisconsin in 1953 and through their fifty years of friendship and adventure. At that young age, Bob was already sure that he would become a rock-and-roll star, and while others didn't believe him, this was what attracted Louie to Bob. Their fun, daring, and down to earth nature were attributes they shared. As they grew older and life pulled them in different directions, the status of their friendship was always constant, and they usually found time to meet up, have fun, share experiences, create new memories, work together, and be there for each other.

While I'm not very familiar with many of Bob Dylan's songs, I have listened to a few like Melancholy Mood and Blowing in the Wind, and I, like many around the world, find his songs very relatable. So, a book offering details into the reserved, mysterious life of Bob Dylan is always welcome in my library.

The first thing I was attracted to in this book was the portrayal of Bob and Louie's friendship and how important it was in their lives. Using simple narrative writing in the first person, the author introduces us to the young versions of himself and Bob and their values of believing in themselves and always sticking up for the little guy or underdog. The author classes himself as a protector of his friends, which was evident in various parts of this story. Another key message I got from the book was on the importance of trust in friendships. This was displayed a lot of times, and my favorite was when Bob put the production of his tour (Rolling Thunder Revue) in Louie's hands and believed that Louie could pull it off even if Louie doubted at first due to his lack of experience. Readers will find that there are a lot of lessons to be learned from them on making and sustaining friendships.

Furthermore, the book is heavy on Jewish culture as Bob and Louie are Jews, and it was interesting to learn some new things about Judaism. It was even more interesting to see the influence of their spirituality on their lives. Bob also explores Christianity at some point. I also enjoyed reading about their tours and how Louie felt when he met various superstars like Rob Stoner, Sonny, and Cher. They got to travel to a lot of countries, and I would have liked a more detailed description of the environment in those countries.

Dylan & Me is very well edited, as I didn't find a single error throughout the book. This feature and the fast pace of the story ensured that I finished the book in two sittings. The book doesn't explore any controversies about Bob Dylan the superstar, but it comes across as an honest account of Bob's true personality, influences, and friendships. I enjoyed reading this book and decide to rate it 4 out of 4, as there isn't much to dislike about the book and it is well-executed overall. I would recommend this book to fans of Bob Dylan and biographies. The book is also appropriate for a younger audience.

Dylan & Me
View: on Bookshelves

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by AntonelaMaria » 11 Sep 2019, 08:26

This is a very helpful and great review. It sounds like a book for me as I love to read biographies and enjoy music. Thank you.

djr6090
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: The Souls of Black Folk
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by djr6090 » 11 Sep 2019, 10:19

I would like to read more about Bob Dylan, and it is helpful to see a book written by someone who lived the times with him. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes, and I'll bet that this book has some great recent history in it. Thanks for making me aware of it. I am adding it to my bookshelves now.

sursangeet_2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sursangeet-2000.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by sursangeet_2000 » 11 Sep 2019, 15:06

I always enjoy personal naarratives the best. It lets you peek in to what others are thinking and doing. And you also tend to learn a lot in this process. Will definitely check this book out. Your review was pretty good. Makes me want to read the book. Thank you!!

Gathoni1991
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 85
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 » 12 Sep 2019, 01:35

A great review. I enjoy reading biographies and what's more? One that belongs to a rock-and-roll star.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Shelf by David K. DeRemer

Post by kdstrack » 14 Sep 2019, 20:41

It is always interesting to learn what motivated some of those old, familiar songs. The friendship, the tours, and the beautiful songs all make for an interesting life. Great review.

Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Sheila_Jay » 15 Sep 2019, 03:41

What a lovely review. I enjoyed reading it. I do not know any on Bob Dylan's songs but from the review I can tell that they are great songs. Thank you for penning an insightful review.

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by corinaelena » 15 Sep 2019, 11:14

This goes for sure on my "to read" list! And I can't even wait to start it. Wow, I never knew there was a book like this out there. Great review!

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Jihadi Hijacking by Eric Auxier

Post by Magnify3 » 18 Sep 2019, 03:46

Thank you for the review! I had no idea that Bob Dylan was a Jew or that he had even explored Christianity at one point. I just knew that once upon a time I had heard of a musician known as Bob Dylan.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”