Official Review: A Second Chance at Dancing: A Memoir of ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: the apathetical man
Bookshelf Size: 793
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: A Second Chance at Dancing: A Memoir of Sorts by Michael T. Tusa Jr.

Official Review: A Second Chance at Dancing: A Memoir of ...

Post by Kibetious » 07 Sep 2019, 01:57

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Second Chance at Dancing: A Memoir of Sorts" by Michael T. Tusa Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What can breakthrough a formidable wall that has been designed so meticulously? Can there be genuine friendship in a world where superficiality has taken control? These are some questions that will be answered as one reads this memoir. A Second Chance at Dancing: A Memoir of Sorts narrates the life of the author, Michael T. Tusa Jr. It is a memoir containing approximately 300 pages and seventy-four chapters.

Michael and Caroline are very intimate friends. Michael is an atheist whereas Caroline is a Christian. The fact that one is a believer and the other is not does not keep them apart. They hold deep and enviable discussions on many areas including the existence of God and the basis of ethics. Michael cannot recall much about his early childhood. He has formed an imaginary wall that safeguards him from being emotionally hurt, for instance, he has made sex a way to avoid intimacy. He reserves intimacy for intellectual matters where he feels his armor was impenetrable. When he breaks up with Rebekah, his lover, the wall he thought was impenetrable begins crumbling down. Michael has to find out about his past and resolve some issues.

There was nothing I did not enjoy or like in the book. I found myself wondering at the level Caroline and Michael had connected. They knew each other very well and held delightful intellectual conversations. Despite differing in their opinions, their friendship seemed to be growing after each conversation. In a world where the flame of sincere friendship is rapidly dwindling, we find Caroline and Michael being proof that genuine friendship still exists and is desired by many people. The reader discovers people can still exist as friends even while holding divergent views.

The author developed a brilliant plot. I felt like I was devouring an enthralling story, and hence it was hard to put this book down once I began reading it. The author does not just paint a picture of a perfect person but one with some weaknesses as well. He confesses it was easier to dissect someone else’s theory but hard to explain his own. He also described his reading habits as running in spurts, and I felt this was one thing among many that reflected my own life.

The book was professionally edited. I discovered only four typos which did not detract from my overall enjoyment of the book. The book made me realize the importance of congruence between what I profess and what I typically practice. The emphasis on reasoning being compatible with faith cannot be understated. Therefore, I heartily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I conscientiously recommend the book to all fans of memoirs. Regardless of whether you are a devout believer or not, you will most undoubtedly enjoy reading this memoir.

A Second Chance at Dancing: A Memoir of Sorts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Sex, Chicken and Coco Butter by Mac Styles

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 08 Sep 2019, 13:25

This sounds like an interesting premise; Two friends with opposing views on religion. I like that the author has created characters that are flawed. Thanks for the wonderful review!

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Beneath the Muscle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Rachel Lea » 08 Sep 2019, 17:29

I appreciate how the author emphasizes that people with opposing views can still respect each other and be friends. I think that's a very healthy attitude. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Hidden Pearl by J.E. Laufer

Post by kandscreeley » 08 Sep 2019, 18:08

I'm interested to see how Michael and Caroline interact being as how they are from such different faiths so to speak. Thanks for a good review.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 200
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Butterfly by Kathleen Sullivan McDonald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 08 Sep 2019, 18:57

I love the message of this book. We should all have friends who can challenge us intellectually and accept us unconditionally. Great review!

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Spellbound by Julia Goldhirsh

Post by esp1975 » 08 Sep 2019, 23:21

I love your descriptions of the conversations between Michael and Caroline. Those sound like conversations I might have with certain friends.

MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by MatereF » 09 Sep 2019, 11:17

I love the mature interaction between Michael & Caroline even though they have differences on matters faith among other things. I guess it teaches us to love one another despite the differences in opinions or otherwise. Great review.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by LinaMueller » 10 Sep 2019, 06:15

A Second Chance at Dancing: A Memoir of Sorts seems to be a very nice and edifying book. Way to go, Kibetious. I loved your review.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Aniza Butt
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: The School by Robert Davis

Post by Aniza Butt » 16 Sep 2019, 11:26

I don't read memoir so would pass this one. I am glad you liked it.
Thanks for the review :tiphat:
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Wyland » Yesterday, 18:21

The emotional breakup in Michael is a good illustration on just how important relationships are in building or breaking up someone even though they may feel invincible. Thanks for your insightful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”