Official Review: It's Not Only About The Look

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: It's All About Something by Alexander A. Villarasa, M.D.

Official Review: It's Not Only About The Look

Post by Cecilia_L » 05 Sep 2019, 19:07

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's Not Only About The Look" by François Attadédji.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In today's society, changing hair accessories may be viewed comparable to wearing make-up, but hair extensions date back to Cleopatra’s blue-tinted tresses. As the husband of a braid and beauty shop owner, François Attadédji is no stranger to women's hair accessories, including extensions, weaves, wigs, and braids. In his informative study, It's Not Only About the Look: Women's Love of Hair May Never Be Fully Understood, Attadédji explores the reasons why women change their hair. His interviews with women of various ages, ethnicities, regions, and social classes reveal an assortment of factors that influence their personal hair choices.

With careful attention to detail, Attadédji expounds on various reasons women wear hair accessories. Thinning hair due to aging or health issues, the influence of social media, the desire to feel younger, and presenting a professional appearance are several factors women listed. Throughout the book, Attadédji objectively contrasts the care, maintenance, and expense of natural hair with hairpiece alternatives. Interestingly, both black and white women cited convenience as a primary reason for wearing different types of hair accessories. "It's clear and neat that wigs, weaves, extensions, and braids are not a black or a white thing. They are a woman thing."

I was impressed by the comprehensive nature of Attadédji's interview process. Although he asked many of the same questions each time, he personalized the interviews rather than simply checking off a list. I especially liked the interviews he conducted with salon owners in New York City, Las Vegas, and Indianapolis. I found it interesting that their overall consensus was that customers opt for various hairpieces instead of their natural hair to please men. I also appreciated Attadédji's candor regarding his previous assumptions and what he learned in the process. One example he cited was the realization that white women wear alternative hair as much as women of color.

On the other hand, Attadédji's desire to emphasize certain issues becomes repetitive, which I dislike. For instance, he repeatedly lists the same specific hairpieces: wigs, weaves, extensions, and braids. This is unnecessary and monotonous; readers are capable of remembering the specific accessories from one chapter to the next. Additionally, considering that the book is 83 pages, the grammatical errors are excessive.

Due to the editorial issues, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers interested in varying perspectives regarding natural hair as opposed to wearing hairpiece alternatives. The book contains no profanity.

It's Not Only About The Look
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

MsH2k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by MsH2k » 07 Sep 2019, 09:19

Sounds like an interesting read. I may check it out. Thanks for the warning about the grammatical errors - I will try not to let that slow me down.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Sep 2019, 18:02

MsH2k wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 09:19
Sounds like an interesting read. I may check it out. Thanks for the warning about the grammatical errors - I will try not to let that slow me down.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

sarahmarlowe
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: The Boy From Zarephath
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The Bridge at Wilson Park by Frank Rubolino
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe » 07 Sep 2019, 18:31

What an interesting premise! It sounds as if the author found some compelling data that shows women of different races are more alike than we knew before. I'm sure that there are writers out there who would love to use this book as a source in research. Maybe the author will put the book through another round of editing.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 08 Sep 2019, 11:01

sarahmarlowe wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 18:31
What an interesting premise! It sounds as if the author found some compelling data that shows women of different races are more alike than we knew before. I'm sure that there are writers out there who would love to use this book as a source in research. Maybe the author will put the book through another round of editing.
It was an interesting read, especially hearing it from a man's perspective. Thanks for your comment, Sarah.

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by corinaelena » 08 Sep 2019, 11:49

I could never imagine a book being dedicated only...to hair! But apparently, the author makes it work. I would honestly love reading it. Great review!

Brandt
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandt.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Brandt » 08 Sep 2019, 14:54

This book sounds very interesting, but I can see how the repetition could get boring. Thank you for a well written and honest review!
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
~Oscar Wilde

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Spellbound by Julia Goldhirsh

Post by esp1975 » 08 Sep 2019, 23:16

This sounds interesting, though I might disagree with the idea that most women change their hair (or wear accessories) to please men. I think it is most often about what society finds acceptable. But maybe if you define "men" as "society" then maybe it is the case. Mind you, I say this as a person who has not had a natural hair color in about two years. And I do it because it makes me happy.

Aubrey janellah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aubrey janellah » 09 Sep 2019, 07:35

Im interested in this story. I'll read it fully later. It self confidence. No matter the way you dress or physical looks is not defend on who you are. Be your self..

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Sep 2019, 21:13

corinaelena wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 11:49
I could never imagine a book being dedicated only...to hair! But apparently, the author makes it work. I would honestly love reading it. Great review!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Sep 2019, 21:14

Brandt wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 14:54
This book sounds very interesting, but I can see how the repetition could get boring. Thank you for a well written and honest review!
Thank you. :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Sep 2019, 21:22

esp1975 wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 23:16
This sounds interesting, though I might disagree with the idea that most women change their hair (or wear accessories) to please men. I think it is most often about what society finds acceptable. But maybe if you define "men" as "society" then maybe it is the case. Mind you, I say this as a person who has not had a natural hair color in about two years. And I do it because it makes me happy.
Hair coloring was one change he didn't address, and I think most women who color their hair do so for the same reason you do. I found it revealing that it was the salon owners who came to the conclusion that women change their hair to please men.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Sep 2019, 21:23

Aubrey janellah wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 07:35
Im interested in this story. I'll read it fully later. It self confidence. No matter the way you dress or physical looks is not defend on who you are. Be your self..
Thank you.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Finding Lisa by Sigrid Macdonald

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 11 Sep 2019, 14:53

As I am reading your review, I find myself unknowingly twirling my hair! It sounds like an interesting topic to explore as our hair can be such an artistic reflection of people. It is too bad about the errors, though. Thanks for a fantastic review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Shelf by David K. DeRemer

Post by kdstrack » 11 Sep 2019, 19:39

Cecilia_L wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 21:22
esp1975 wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 23:16
Hair coloring was one change he didn't address, and I think most women who color their hair do so for the same reason you do. I found it revealing that it was the salon owners who came to the conclusion that women change their hair to please men.
This just proves that hairdressers know more secrets than we care to admit!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”