Review by Falling4Ever -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Review by Falling4Ever -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Falling4Ever » 04 Sep 2019, 19:10

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From delivering newspapers to writing this very book, Jorge Newbery describes all the different aspects of his life in his book Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands. In this autobiography, he describes how his working life started. From a very young age, he has worked for a chance to earn money. As described earlier, his very first job was at age 7, where he delivered newspapers every day around his neighborhood on a bike. Then, at age 12, he graduated to selling ice cream and popsicles.

From there, he describes his life growing up, making friends with punks, dropping out of school at 16, and starting a record business. But every time he succeeds at something, it starts to get boring, so he moves on to the next thing, which leads him to become an elite biker. After biking internationally, he starts a business by buying and renovating apartments all over the US. This, however, leads to his downfall, and millions of dollars of debt, which eventually leads to him creating American Homeowner Preservation, to help those get out of mortgage trouble, something he wished he had when he was struggling with his personal mortgage problems.

Overall, I loved this book. No matter how cliché this sounds, I could not put this book down. Newbery does a tremendously good job explaining his business exchanges and propositions without using words too technical, so even if you don't know much about business talk, you’ll be able to read this book and understand everything that is going on. I found this extremely nice because I know absolutely nothing about business, but I could still comprehend everything he talked about and all the troubles he faced. Anyone can read this book, and I’d definitely recommend it.

My favorite part of this book was the extended metaphor of his life being a bike race. Throughout his life, he faced many ‘burn zones,’ or tough spots, but in every situation, he tried to make sure he made it to the finish line. In the end, although this mindset may have lost him a lot of money, he pulled through and learned a lot. I really cannot find anything wrong with this book. I loved every aspect and this book was beautifully executed.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Everything about this book was perfectly written and edited. I would recommend this book to everyone! There is no need for prior business knowledge, and it doesn’t even read like an autobiography. It feels more like a novel, with an omnipresent first-person narrator. Overall, this book was truly amazing and a thrill to read.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”