Official Review: The Animal Connection by Heather Brooks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Official Review: The Animal Connection by Heather Brooks

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Animal Connection" by Heather Brooks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Animal Connection by Heather Brooks is a collection of stories about wild animals and the people working to save them. These true stories are short and educational, full of interesting facts and information. The stories are also accompanied by photographs of the wolves, alligators, owls, birds, dolphins and other wildlife featured in the book. Parents, teachers, kids, and wildlife enthusiasts will love reading the stories and learning about these amazing creatures.

I love all sorts of animals, so reading a book about them appealed to me. This short little book is cute and fun to read. It has brief sections about each of the animals, followed by accompanying pictures. Probably the most interesting section for me was about the way dolphins are being trained to recover undersea artifacts. Some are even being trained for war against terrorists. I wasn’t aware that dolphins were being used for naval missions, so that tidbit was fascinating.

The book also discusses some new technology regarding drones. It was interesting to learn that the smallest drone now is currently modeled after a hummingbird, and further models could be no larger than insects. My favorite animal was Boo the owl. He had the most adorable photo and personality. It was also very encouraging to learn about an endangered species of fox being brought back from the brink of extinction.

The book is well-edited and only had a few errors. The paperback copy is a nice size for reading and the pictures are all in color. The photography was probably my favorite addition to the book because I liked having a face to accompany the animals’ stories. The photos translate quite well to the page and are relatively clear. The only way the pictures could be better would be if this book were made into an e-book.

The stories are about 2-3 pages each. The stories reminded me a lot of those story books for kids from the 1970s that had accompanying pictures in black and white, only these are updated for a modern audience. The content is also interesting and educational. Virtually anyone with a passing interest in the subject of animals can learn something new from this book. The author clearly adores and appreciates each animal she writes about, so I can see this book being a great addition to school libraries. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for editing, length, and the adorable animals.

The Animal Connection
View: on Bookshelves
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for your review of The Animal Connection. It looks like an interesting, educational, and fun book to read. Books like these are really great in ebook format as it makes it more accessible. Small drones based on insects and hummingbirds sound interesting and fun. Thank you for your recommendation. :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This looks like a neat book; Learning about animals is always fascinating! Thanks for the great review!
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bambiears »

It does sound to be a very nice book indeed would not mind addig it to my collection as well.

Thanks for the well written and thought out reveiw.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

The title of this book drew me to it since I love animals. I am happy that the author took time to write this amazing book about wild animals. This would be an interesting read to anyone who loves animals. Many thanks for the great review.
Uncle John
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Uncle John »

This book is my genre, animals and wildlife. Great review
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

The title is intriguing! I wasn't aware about the ways Dolphins can be trained either. This should be an interesting read.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

What a lovely book! I enjoyed all the tidbits of information you included about the animals. You have piqued my interest about other new things animals are doing. Great review.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

As a fellow animal lover, I look forward to reading this book. :D

You stated that it contained a lot of interesting and unusual information about several animal species. I did not know that insect-sized drones were being engineered these days.

Thanks for an excellent review! :tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”