Official Review: Manifesting Miracles by Barbara E Harris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Shakespeare and Jung: The God in Time by James Driscoll

Official Review: Manifesting Miracles by Barbara E Harris

Post by mmm17 » 04 Sep 2019, 11:29

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Manifesting Miracles" by Barbara E Harris.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Manifesting Miracles: True Stories of Extraordinary Coincidences, written by Barbara E. Harris, is a non-fiction book that explores extraordinary experiences (coincidences?) that can’t be rationally explained by science. Although some people choose to explain these phenomena as mere coincidences, Harris believes in the Jungian concept of synchronicity – “the occurrence of simultaneous events that are related in a profound yet a causal way.” She argues that one could also call these events meaningful coincidences.

Throughout the book, readers learn that Harris has been involved in “unexplainable experiences” since she was a teenager. The author begins the narrative explaining how she became a nurse because she wanted to heal people. As someone who has “traveled to the other side during a Near Death Experience (NDE),” she strongly believes that “there is a paradigm beyond the physical.”

What I most enjoyed about this first-person narrative was how Harris described the unfolding of her bond with the Virgin Mary. Like so many Catholic women, the author felt an unexplainably strong connection to the Virgin Mary. Surprisingly, though, she wasn't raised as a Catholic. “Neither the Baptist church I attended for the first twelve years of my life nor the small neighborhood Methodist church I belonged to thereafter emphasized Mary’s role,” she explains. Nonetheless, she had an impressive vision of Mother Mary in Clearwater, Florida, and this gave her the courage to tell her story.

Additionally, I very much liked the several prayers and poems that the author presents in the book. I thought it was delightful and inspiring to see how she intertwines them with the narration of several of her life experiences. Among other singular and remarkable events, Harris’ life involved surviving cancer and a Near Death Experience, adopting a baby girl (little Amy), arranging the adoption of a biological grandchild, and dealing with her husband’s passing. All this happened under the guidance of her dear Mother Mary, the Blessed Mother. But no spoilers are allowed!

Lastly, I rate Manifesting Miracles 3 out of 4 stars. I greatly enjoyed the heartfelt and hopeful tone used by Harris in this book. The only thing I disliked was the editing, which is not in its final form yet, for I found several errors. I would gladly give it the maximum rating once the editing errors are fixed. This book is full of poetic symbolism, and I believe it will appeal to readers who value spirituality. It bears a positive message. However, if you are a skeptic reader, you should probably steer clear of it.

Manifesting Miracles
View: on Bookshelves

Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 08 Sep 2019, 04:41

Manifesting Miracles by Barbara E Harris is a non- fiction book that shares very important experiences which she calls coincidences.These can not be explained or understood by science.There are some who believe in this spirituality in life and majority do not.Harris strongly believes in this and calls it meaningful coincidences and are of high value for her.Harris has faced gone through both happy and very difficult times of her life.Her deep belief in Mother Mary is understandable and a real panacea for the alleviation of worldly suffering as well as spiritual suffering.Harris has very beautifully intertwines several of her life experience.The book is a great useful book for those who believe in spirituality and for some who don't that is their affair.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”